Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tcustomflies

Best info on tying in Wings

I am getting back into fly tying after a number of years away from it. One thing i was never very good at was tying in Wings on my flies.

Can anyone give me a good reference for learning all i can about how to tie in Wings etc.

Thanks and God Bless,

May your lines always be tight and your flies always taste good to the fish your after.

Terry

Welcome to the site, Terry. I hope you stay on after you get some recommendations and share pictures of your progress.

If you are talking about quill wings, I had the same problem until I gave up and learned to tie parachute dry flies. My leader never twists and the fly lands properly with more of the abdomen in the water.

Terry if you were referring to tying the classic matched duck quills for wings check out Jim's video.

Until about 12 years ago I would have tied upright quill wings as in the video, Then I watched Donald Downs tie them. Now my method is totally different in just about every way.

• Cutting the slips - I cut through the stem not cut them off the stem. This makes the slip more robust and easier to handle.
  • Offering the wings to the hook - With the wing tips to the bend of the hook, the stems,still attached, forward of the eye.
  • Tie down - To a bed of thread not onto bare hook shank.
  • Pinch and loop - Done with thumb and second finger as it gives a more vertical pinch.
  • Tying down the butts - Split the butts and take one to either side of the wings to stand the wing up. Tie down behind the wing.
  • Trim the butts - At an angle to provide a base for a nicely tapered body.

Contrary to what the Fly Tier's Benchside Reference says about the Donald Down's method he kept the slips attached to the stem and split the butts around the base of the standing wing.

Perhaps this is a subject worth a video. Before Donald's method is totally lost.

Cheers,
C.

I watched Darrell Martin demonstrate Down's method years ago. He cut through the stem and left the slips attached as you describe. Definitely a technique worth preserving.

Thank you I'd forgotten I'd done that one. Still think I'll do the video.

Cheers,

C.

Cheers,

C.

As I read the tutorial shortly after your post I did notice a striking similarity.

This definitely needs preserved for fly tyers like Terry and me.

I look forward to watching your video.

Cheers,

C.

Are the butts pulled back on the tie in side or crossed over under? That method is new to me and although I have mostly quit tying this type wing the idea interests me.

They are taken to either side and tied behind the wing on top of the hook shank. Donald Downs described the result as having the wings sitting in a basket.
Hope that helps,

Cheers,

C.