Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Oh boy here we go!

This winter the cabin fever has been kept at bay pretty well due to the extreme cold and foot of snow around these parts. BUT the past couple days the temps have been up to 50f, the snow is melting at a very fast rate, and the CABIN FEVER is setting in big time! I'm gettin' that fishing itch bad lately blink.png

I don't think watching The River, Troutbum Diaries #1, Troutbum Diaries #2, Spey Daze and A River Runs Through It in the past 48hrs while building rods has helped either lol

Always in Feb this happens around here too. That's why I plan a project for feb, like building a new rod or two. Airbrush some lures or make some flies I'm lacking. And if I can grab a day on the water all the better but it really isn't going to be as pleasant once I get out there as it looks to be. Though the big breeder pickerel are do to move into the shallows any time now and the can run p to 30" or so in some places around here. That means 7-8wt and 4-6" perch patterns. Small perch lures work too but tough to keep them on, you want a #1 hook or so. I want to paint up some 6" perch crank baits. Those big pickerel will be around till trout season takes over at least.. I hope not to miss it this year.

That reminds me I need to do my mid winter boat battery charge. Spring is coming fast.

Ummm ... I don't want to irritate anybody's "Cabin Inflammations" ... Pour proverbial Salt into Open Wounds, as it were ...

Supposed to be 84 on Saturday and I'm planning on testing some flies on the St. Johns River.

Drove down to lake today but winds were way to strong for safe fly flinging and didn't have spinning with. Thought I could find some shelter but couldn't make the kind of walk it would have taken to get protection. Temps supposed to dive from 75 today to 35 tomorrow, moderate a little, then climb back up again and get some rain. We need the rain badly as usual but this time of year. Brush fires all over and so many of start by side of road. Just can't figure out why?

Went down to local state lake to check some of my latest salty stuff and....cudagill....

Feb. always the month to fill fly boxes.

IMG_2899.jpg

I call this fake spring. It warms up just enough where you want to uncover the boat and fire it up but then march comes in all angry and messes things up again. I'm not falling for it this year. I'm going to start ripping my living room apart that should keep me busy for a while.

I call this fake spring. It warms up just enough where you want to uncover the boat and fire it up but then march comes in all angry and messes things up again. I'm not falling for it this year. I'm going to start ripping my living room apart that should keep me busy for a while.

Yep, up around here March can be a bear of a month but at least by then the snow won't last if we get it. Feb is the tough month but hopeful, the sun starts warming the south side of the house, if there ever was ice on the ponds it's either gone or no longer safe, in fact crocus or something can come up along the foundation out back here. The wind is not strong in Feb here , it's like Aug in the summer time when it is calm out, assuming no storms come along. And i have been tempted to get the boat all ready in Feb many years because of the deception, then find a skim of ice and a blizzard in March ! But the good news is the ridiculous bitter cold and chance of 4 ft of snow that could last for weeks if not months is behind us now that we have passed the mid point of Feb. It's always a hopeful time of year for me.

I'm still working on my airbrushing techniques for hollow Christmas ornament turnings I make ( next years Christmas gifts) and for crankbait painting. If the weather stays nice I have downed trees and limbs to cut up and brush to grind up or burn. I also want to plumb my basement for air and run a tap outdoors to air the car tires etc, get my compressor into a permanent situation down stairs.. I have also LVLP spray guns that can be used outdoors and for two years the compressor has not had a home LOL.. And then there is my piano music. So plenty to do. I still have not tied my spring soft hackles or big perch tube flies I want to get to. Plus two fly rods to build, a 4/5 switch rod and a 10ft 3/4 nymphing/wet fly/small streamer rod. I have the switch rod parts here and the 3/4 is in shipping right now. Anyway, maybe too many irons in the fire !

Yeah I'm sure we'll get more winter here as well, after all it IS Michigan. Normally we'll have a warm spell like this then back to winter for most of March. Have even had ice storms in April here. Been odd weather the past few years though so fingers crossed we'll have an early spring perhaps :) Either way, early spring or not, it's time for the fishing buddy to swing over for coffee next week so we can start planning the first steelhead trip of the year :) That will probably be in mid April like usual but always good to have a trip date planned to look forward too.

Poopdeck took this picture of my living room yesterday, we had a popcorn party. Just passed my drywall inspection today only have my final left to go.

post-58401-0-07725300-1518802744_thumb.jpg

The spring creeks here never freeze over. The past couple days have melted most of the snow, with warm weather continuing into the weekend. I'm hoping for some stream time on Sunday hoping that the creeks have lowered from the snow melt and good fishing can be found. Finger crossed! I'm with you on needing to break the cabin fever!

Ummm ... I don't want to irritate anybody's "Cabin Inflammations" ... Pour proverbial Salt into Open Wounds, as it were ...

Supposed to be 84 on Saturday and I'm planning on testing some flies on the St. Johns River.

That's ok we will think of you guys when hurricane season hits. Not that we can't get them here but much more likely and more powerful there. And besides that I hate snakes, lizards and alligators and beatles/bugs/spiders the size of a 1950 Oldsmobile hood ornament.. So you're welcome to enjoy your good fortune in Feb !

Poopdeck took this picture of my living room yesterday, we had a popcorn party. Just passed my drywall inspection today only have my final left to go.

Maybe I won't rip my living room apart just yet.

Wow! I feel really bad for you Mike, it hit 87+ here last week...it must suck to have an actual winter there in Central FL. HaHa!

Seriously, it was actually too warm for me last week. I have a bad feeling about this coming year. Last few days we have been getting dark clouds in the afternoon reminiscent of our monsoonal summer pattern. It would suck getting into wet season 2-3 months early. That usually spells way too much water here and bad drought out west.

Steve, you need to get your butt down here middle of next month. Bring a couple 3-4wt rods (plus a 6 and 8 for bass) and I'll put you on enough Mayans and Oscars that you won't want to see another one! I'll even throw in the occasional Jaguar Guapote and peacock. I figure by day three you'll be cooked, right arm day one, left arm day two. I'll hook you up. Water is dropping fast, and the lower it gets the better the fishing.

I've a days Atlantic salmon chasing on 26th so I'm itching to get out. Last year the water levels meant i missed out but I'll be there in a flood this year no matter what.