Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Salty Boxes?

Generally, I stick with compartment types such as those made by Plano or Flambeau. I refuse to pay the prices for the larger "fly" boxes such as the Cliff, and most of those fly boxes don't hold big flies very well or a lot of flies. Not that you need a lot of flies on the water, but I like having a good variety on hand. For smaller flies, such as typical Bonefish & other flats styles, I have some of the C & F style waterproof fly boxes that I've purchased from various sources, and they work fine. Most I've gotten from EBay sellers and again I refuse to pay the prices for name brands when they're all being made in China anyway.

I purchased some from Iridious, by watching their EBay auctions, and no complaints about the boxes or the seller.

BTW, I have 2 Plano boxes, with handles that were sold for plastic baits that I call my boat boxes. They're large, and only well suited for boat fishing, but they work very well for me. I can carry a good number & variety in them.

I'm with Tidewater. Never found a box I liked. Cheap configuarable Walmart boxes for boat are fine. I put many of my tarpon flies and other large flies in 1 1/2 inch plastic sleeves, and stuff them into anything handy for the occasion: pockets, wading pack, etc.

Compartment for sure, like mentioned inexpensive,fits in pocket,easy or no clean.

post-57957-0-76326300-1494012313_thumb.jpg

Plano + sticky foam (1 source is feather-craft) = Best combo for boat trips.

Even better, yard sale Plano or simular plastics ....

In my, bass/pike experience

Plano ... Walmart ... prices are extremely affordable for the amount of storage space you get.

Same as mike, Plano compartment boxes from Walmart. I only take out what I plan on using and nothing more. One or two of these and I'm good to go.

post-48414-0-31701800-1494024521_thumb.jpg

Cool. Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the compartment boxes.

I use the biggest (and cheapest) compartment boxes I can find for storage, and smaller ones to go into the fishing bag. One thing I would highly recommend is to keep one compartment empty while you're fishing, so you'll have a place to put your wet flies when you change up. Once you get home, you can easily rinse them and put them back with the others once they're dried. Tossing wet flies in among dry ones is a no-no. They'll contaminate anything they come into contact with, and it doesn't take much salt to rust out a hook, even a stainless one.

Compartment.

I agree with Peterjay, but, I don't like to store used flies in it. I use one of those knock off witz cases you can find on ebay.

I use the biggest (and cheapest) compartment boxes I can find for storage, and smaller ones to go into the fishing bag. One thing I would highly recommend is to keep one compartment empty while you're fishing, so you'll have a place to put your wet flies when you change up. Once you get home, you can easily rinse them and put them back with the others once they're dried. Tossing wet flies in among dry ones is a no-no. They'll contaminate anything they come into contact with, and it doesn't take much salt to rust out a hook, even a stainless one.

Don't know why I never thought to leave an empty compartment. Thanks