Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CSB1

Necks

I have a couple of Metz Necks and they seemed to be dried/drying out. When you go to wrap the neck hackle on a fly they snap. Its like the shaft is dried out. Is their anyway I can bring these necks back to life? Seems that I heard years back that you could brush a coating of Glycerin on the back of the neck and let it sit for a period of time and that would rejuvenate the neck?

For future reference, how should necks be stored to get the most life out of them?

Thanks, CB

Always store them sealed in the original zip lock packaging

If they're dried out and brittle, I have no idea how to restore the moisture they once had

The feather and hair police come to my house once a month unannounced to check for illegal materials. How many of you have the same thing happening to them.

I don't have any illegal materials but I can't imagine picking up a loose feather that could well be a duck or goose feather bringing down the wrath of god.

I have a couple of Metz Necks and they seemed to be dried/drying out. When you go to wrap the neck hackle on a fly they snap. Its like the shaft is dried out. Is their anyway I can bring these necks back to life?

Try shampoo and hair conditioner. See this article from Globalflyfisher.com:

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/washing-materials/

There is a method for pipe tobacco, that may or may not work for feathers. I don't see why it wouldn't. Basically, you get an airtight container and put the material you want to moisten in it. Then you put the humidifier material in there. With tobacco humidifiers, they use a porous ceramic. It absorbs water without dripping. As that water then evaporates, it softens and moistens the tobacco. I think it would probably work for feathers, too.

The feather and hair police come to my house once a month unannounced to check for illegal materials. How many of you have the same thing happening to them.

I don't have any illegal materials but I can't imagine pick

ing up a loose feather that could well be a duck or goose feather bringing down the wrath of god.

The original poster is asking about Metz hackles which are quite legal and how to rejuvenate them

There is a method for pipe tobacco, that may or may not work for feathers. I don't see why it wouldn't. Basically, you get an airtight container and put the material you want to moisten in it. Then you put the humidifier material in there. With tobacco humidifiers, they use a porous ceramic. It absorbs water without dripping. As that water then evaporates, it softens and moistens the tobacco. I think it would probably work for feathers, too.

I'm curious, have you ever heard of using orange peels to rehydrate dried tobacco?

As for the neck pelt, I'd suggest you put some sort of moist material inside the neck's ziplock.

Some musicians put a slice of apple in a plastic container with holes in it, and place it inside the hole of their guitar to keep it from drying too much. Seems like for a neck, just soaking it in water might help. Wouldn't try that with a guitar, though.

I'm curious, have you ever heard of using orange peels to rehydrate dried tobacco?

As for the neck pelt, I'd suggest you put some sort of moist material inside the neck's ziplock.

Some musicians put a slice of apple in a plastic container with holes in it,

I have used apple slices with tobacco ... actually mellows the flavor while keeping it moist. I never used orange peel, and I wouldn't because I don't like the citrus tang ... but I know it works. With a neck, I'd worry about the possible mold or too much moisture.

You can soak a hackle feather in some hot tap water for a few minutes or less and it will become pliable again. I have done it with quills and biots as well as hackles and it works fine. Adding moisture to a whole neck or skin is much more tricky. Getting the moisture content right would be far too critical as far as I'm concerned. Too much moisture would wreck the whole cape.

I was camping with an experienced "expert" tyer many years ago. We were tying flies in the campsite one evening an he took what looked to me like a perfectly good but old grizzly neck and threw it in the campfire. I was aghast! I wanted it, it was better than anything I had. I could have used it as tailing material or for Catskill style wings... Out of character, I told him so, which was difficult for me I was in awe of his tying and fishing skill. He said you're right, I should have asked. A month later he sent me a box full of material, all kinds of stuff, included in this stash was a bag of primo wood duck flank! In all these years I've never seen better wood duck.

The point being, I don't think one can resurrect material gone bad to good effect. At least that's what I took from this experience.

Since then, for my tying material, an once of prevention has been my mantra.

Guys, you're all busy over-thinking your problem here. Yes, a bit of glycerine on the skin side will aid in preserving the skin -but have no good effect on the feathers. When feathers on a neck, a saddle patch, or just cheap strung hackles begin to dry out or are just in poor condition from packaging the simplest technique to bring them back to life is to steam them over a tea kettle. You have to be a bit careful since the steam can't be too hot. To keep that from happening hold the materials by hand -you'll know then whether you're too close to the source of the steam. I usually do this before doing a long run where I'm wanting particular feathers at their best. Once the neck or saddle or length of strung hackles are thoroughly steamed (you'll actually see each feather "come back to life" as it absorbs the moisture...) I lay them skin side down (or curve side down with strung saddles or neck hackles) on paper towels then allow them to dry for a day before they're either used or go back in whatever packaging they came in... Hope this helps -the next time I do some steaming I'll try to remember to take a few pics -it's really a simple, quick process that gives great results -just remember to be careful not to heat them too much....

I couldn't do that Bob. I have to use a different method. Can't stand tea and don't have a tea kettle! {8^)

Cheers.

C.