Fly Tying
breambuster

What Size Dumbbell Eyes?

I want to try my hand at tying some small Clousers on a Mustad 3366 #8 hook. The #8 b10s was sold out. I will be casting with a five weight rod, weight forward line. My target will be panfish, primarily bluegills in a large reservoir. If I catch crappie, that's a real plus. I'll be fishing from a boat, probably casting toward the bank, blowdowns, docks, and anything else I find that looks like panfish. The pattern will be blue over white. First, do I need krystal flash as a part of the pattern?

My supplier lists dumbbell eyes as "Large," "Medium," "Smal," and "Extra Small. " The colors available are "Chartreuse," "Pearl," "Red," and Yellow, only the "Pearl" is sold out in the Extra Small size. So what color and what sizes do I want? I don't like casting weighted flies anyway, so I'm thinking either "Small" or "Extra Small."

Thanks

BB

Clausers for pan fish w a size 8 hook i use med bead chain eyes white bucktail n red thread, i tie them about 2" long w 2 strands of crystal flash.

Good luck!

I bought some extra small a while ago the don't have enough weight to counter the hook, i think the bead chain is similar weight but has a bigger diameter so the it offsets the hook a bit more and makes it ride point up.

Small and bead chain. I fly fish for crappie from the bank at a reservoir in the early spring when they come up from the deep into the shallow. I've found you don't need a lot of weight. I always add a couple strands of flash on a clouser. No favorite color just whatever suits my fancy at the moment. I probably use silver and underbelly more then anything though.

Crappie and bluegill aren't particularly picky. I would just throw little bugs of no particular pattern with a copper john getting the first crack at the bluegill and anything looking like a small baitfish for the crappie but crappie will hit bugs as well. Don't overthink it.

BB I'll send you some bead chain that I use for them I have like 5 ft of it.

Vicente. Thanks. I’ll save my money on the dumbbell eyes and wait for your bead chain. Do you use Krystal Flash on your pattern that I am trying to copy? If you have an extra one handy, please drop it in with the bead chain. I’ll send you a larger Frenchie-type pattern with disco bead head to repay you. You can let me know how it works for Pamfish in your area. I’m working on it to try here.

BB

Won't the eyes off set/counter balance the hook more if tied in farther back on the hook shank?

I'll tye over up for you if i don't have any in my box, no need to send me anything, that flash and slinky mix (almost positive that's what i have) has a decent amount of flash on its own without adding any extra.

+1 on vicente's use of bead chain. If you're casting around cover, last thing you want is a weighted fly dropping in and snagging every cast. The fish will come up on bait that looks good.

Good luck with the pattern !!!

Vicente, the bead chain, fly and hooks arrived today. I have checked both of my usual online suppliers and neither of them carry Flash N Slinky material. Can you suggest a close substitute? Where do you get your Flash N Slinky?

Thanks

BB

These guys have it some others do as well, I got mine out of the bargain bin at once of the local fly shops, I'd forgotten what it was but it popped up as an add in my Facebook news feed just before this whole thread was started.

I plan to do some with the starburst fibres from ftd in golden peacock as well this year.