Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
EuroOrBust

LAW vise

Buy a J Vise now and when they are no longer made they will increase in price as well. My opinion. Beautiful vise.

J Vises are being discontinued soon?

No Euro but Jay is a one man show. It's my opinion that IF J vises discontinue in the future that it will be one vise that increases in value.

It was on this forum that I first encountered this truism of basic economics: A thing is "worth" whatever the seller can convince someone to pay for it. I believe it was in one of the past LAW vise threads that I read it.

I've never understood the fascination. I don't think they're very attractive, and give me cam jaws over anything else.

But, whatever someone else is willing to pay. I once sold some land, and when my broker told me what we should list it for I told him the buyer would be crazy. A month later, a crazy person signed papers.

I'll probably be gone before Jay Smit!!! I have #80 of his with several updates. Great vise.

I also had a LAW. I prefer a vise with true rotary. One that can be adjusted to maintain the shank in a level axis.......regardless of the size of the hook.

It was a thing of beauty though. One of the best "fit and finish" products ever.

If you think a Lawrence Waldron vise is hard to come by, try finding one of his reels. When was the last time you ever saw one of those up for sale? Me? Never have. My search continues.....

I think I would rather try for a Polly Rossborough vise - these come around once in a while and are nowhere close as far as price.

rosborough vise. cool looking

pollysvise.jpg

That would be mine. I bought it for its connection to Polly. I don't like tying on it. My left hand wants to slide down the long smooth slope. It has very limited height adjustment and it doesn't really hold hooks very well. But it's a nice piece of history.