Fly Tying
Streambum4trout

Years tying flies

I am new to this forum and was looking at everyone's post and all their great works of art and was wondering how many years of tying experience everyone has.. I have been tying flys for 21 years...How about you?

Welcome to the forum Streambum! You'll find a wealth of information and some very nice people here. If you haven't already, you might want to throw up a post in the "Introduce Yourself" section of the forum.

I started tying when my wife gave me a starter vise, tool kit and a few materials from Hook & Hackle for Christmas in 1996, so that's what...English major type here, not so good with the numbers :)...just over 21 years myself. Holy crap--where did that time go?!?

We're glad to have you here--make sure to post up some pics of your flies and fishing adventures when you get a chance!

Cheers,

Bryon

I started dressing buck tail jigs in the late 60's for an Uncle's business, actual fly patterns around 1978 after I finished my first enlistment in the Navy, that's when the addiction started, hanging around fly shops, (worldwide, some sailors ran to the nearest bar, some to church, and I to the local purveyor of fishing tackle) skinning dead animals on the roadside, and collecting fly tying and fishing materials.

I hate to admit it, but 50+ years. Our local game warden gave a few lessons back in the early '60s. I was already fly fishing, but store-bought flies were too expensive for kids at that time, so learning to tie was a no-brainer. For materials, we kept chickens, and there was always the occasional squirrel, raccoon, or 'possum lying squashed in the road. My tying vise was a regular old bench vise, and I made all my own tools. I didn't even know what a bobbin was for several years; I secured everything with half hitches. My rod was a solid glass 7-footer (which I eventually made into a flounder spear) and we got our lines from the Ashaway Line & Twine Co. dump, where they'd toss their rejects. If my tying and fishing gear was crude, it didn't seem to matter to the fish.

I bought a very inexpensive tying kit about 35 years ago. It didn't take me long to realize the tools and materials that came with it were garbage and that started me in this obsession with flies, tools, and materials that is still going strong.

Joe

I hate to admit it, but 50+ years. Our local game warden gave a few lessons back in the early '60s. I was already fly fishing, but store-bought flies were too expensive for kids at that time, so learning to tie was a no-brainer. For materials, we kept chickens, and there was always the occasional squirrel, raccoon, or 'possum lying squashed in the road. My tying vise was a regular old bench vise, and I made all my own tools. I didn't even know what a bobbin was for several years; I secured everything with half hitches. My rod was a solid glass 7-footer (which I eventually made into a flounder spear) and we got our lines from the Ashaway Line & Twine Co. dump, where they'd toss their rejects. If my tying and fishing gear was crude, it didn't seem to matter to the fish.

Enjoyed this story and enjoying fly tying for 25 years, lately more than ever...

I have been tying for 2 years .. Bass Pro Shop offered free lessons and I was hooked .. I tie everyday it keeps me busy and my mind sharp .. The funny thing I do not fly fish ..

Steve-stabgnid

37+

The great thing about this forum is how supportive everyone is. A former student also tied, but did not fish. I was his study hall teacher and when he earned detentions, I let him tie flies in detention. He eventually figured out he did not have to earn detentions to tie after school.

I've been tying for 60 years. I had a fifth grade teacher, Mr. Miller, who was a fly tyer and fly fisherman. We had after school clubs and he started a fly fishing club. My older brothers were fly fishermen so I tied for them and fished with them in Southern Oregon and Northern California.

Welcome to the forum, I think the best way to improve your tying is by joining a swap. I tie better when I am tying for someone else. Tight Lines.

I have been tying for 2 years now. I had a fishing buddy who started tying and when we went on our fly fishing trip we would go back to the camper and start tying up stuff. Been hooked ever since. I told my wife it would help save money so I did not have to spend so much at the fly shop. Now it seems like I'm always buying material.

I guess I am a newbie by forum standards. 15 years on and off, mostly off. Too many hobbies, work, family...

Used to tie to fish only, so I would tie enough for a while and only come back to it when I ran out.

Because of this forum I am in my longest tying stretch, and tying flies I wouldn't have otherwise.

We all have our quirks, but you will enjoy it here.