Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jakeryan

Bass Pro Redington Crosswater combo

Considered buying one of these in the 9' 5wt for a beginning setup. Pros and cons???? will be at Bass Pro this weekend to handle personally to see what it is like.

If you are going to be at Bass Pro looking at combo outfits then I would suggest looking at this one over the Redington one http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Hobbs-Creek-Complete-Fly-Outfit/product/1506251100/ I've cast the Hobbs Creek one before when a buddy picked one up and it is actually a pretty decent little rod for the price. Not to say anything bad about Redington, but I have cast a number of their rods in the past and I can't say I was ever impressed with the feel or weight of any of them. The Bass Pro Hobbs Creek one is the one I would suggest over the Redington, but look at them both while you are there and compare how they feel to you.

For a beginner ... well, I don't know what you're thinking about, so I'll just give my opinion on "beginner equipment".

I've been fly fishing for more than 30 years. I buy a lot of my rods and reel from Bass Pro. I like the Bugger Combo, the Cricket Combo and the Dogwood Canyon Combo. All three come in the 9' 5 wt. version and they run right at $100.00.

Save your money on the rod and buy some flies or other equipment.

Oh ... Steve posted while I was writing this. Yeah, Hobbs Creek ones, too !!!

+1 for the Dogwood canyon or Hobbs creek, over the Redington. Awesome rods for all skill levels.

If you are ready to buy this weekend, the Hobbs Creek outfit Steeldrifter suggested is on sale - $119.97 (normally $149.99).

These are great either for a beginner or an experienced fly fisherman. Check into the Gear Guard - 2 year, no questions asked warranty!

If I was going with Redington I would step up one model with the lifetime warranty and fly rods are fragile toys.

If I was going with Redington I would step up one model with the lifetime warranty and fly rods are fragile toys.

Saltybum beat me to it, this would be a key concern to me as well. A 1 year warranty is not a great investment in my mind. For a few bucks more the Path Combo comes with a lifetime (rod) warranty for example.

I would add that Redington's response time to a warranty replacement is excellent (inexpensive offshore rods are typically replaced by vendors, not repaired), often completed in less than two weeks in my experience.

My next rod might be a tfo lefty kreh, for that reason.. no questions asked life-time warranty.

I went with the dogwood canyon instead due to a year end clearance of $39 from BPS. I didn't even think twice.

Not to hijack the thread, but look in the Trading Floor section. I have a couple of Sage rods for I think a decent price.

thanks

Mike

I went with the dogwood canyon ...

If yours works like mine, you won't be disappointed.

That dogwood canyon is a smooth casting rod. Very forgiving. I stole my pops and proceeded to throw the entire line. Not bragging, here. I'm a crappy caster.

I own a 10wt Crosswater that I picked up over a decade ago, when Sports Authority sold them. It's alright. I'm sure the quality has improved over time. Given the choice, I too would go with the dogwood canyon.

Plus, I love the way that little click pawl looks!

Don't give money to basspro, all I am saying..

Caloosa highly recommend that rod!

laugh.png Which rod do you recommend, Flats? The Dogwood Canyon ... that is from Bass Pro?dry.png tongue.png laugh.png