Fly Tying
flytire

Hackle Folding Tool

Below is Tim Flaglers version of a simple hackle folding tool for laid back collars on a variety of flies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvXP0bIgL0

i no longer play guitar so i have no picks laying around the house

so i improvised with a bread bag plastic closure (follow the directions in the video to use the tool)

Hackle-folding-tool.jpg

note: there are multiple ways of folding hackle (most tyers will never need to do this), the above is just 1 more way

forward thinkers should be able to come up with other pieces of plastic could be used

You can do the same thing with a pair of small scissors. Just open the scissors to a small vee and run along the hackle. I hold the tip of the hackle in the jaws of my vise.

yes you can use scissors

like i said above "note: there are multiple ways of folding hackle (most tyers will never need to do this), the above is just 1 more way"

it even comes with a specially designed hole to provide convenient storage on your bobbin rest

Hackle_folding_tool_2.jpg

heres a couple more ideas for the bread bag plastic closure

you can modify the hackle folding tool to include a hole & slit for a "hackle guard" and a hole for a "bullet head tool"

Hackle-folding-tool-4.jpg

it even comes with a specially designed hole to provide convenient storage on your bobbin rest

laugh.png That took me off guard! I'm glad I wasn't taking a drink when I looked at that!

Until it grows penicillin its still good to use smile.png

And then it serves two purposes. Fills your belly and cures your ills. happy.png

Loaf of bread cost $2.00? (feed the bread to the birds)

Guitar picks are a buck a dozen?

There's a lot of tools that people can make ... as good as commercial products. This seems to be one of those.