Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatsRoamer

Zap a Gap Free!!!

Finally proud to say I an free of zap a Gap. While it does work, it was not worth the hassle and effort needed for something that didn't last very long, at least not for me. I now use loon clear hard head cement and so far so good. No clogging, no stains, no problems. Now if I could just figure out a way to attach eyes...

On baitfish flies, I usually use super glue to hold them in place and then often coat them with UV resin or epoxy

I am looking into the UV stuff, but cant bring myself to spending 60$ on a light. Do you know of a cheaper one?

For eyes ? ZAP A GAP ! lol. I don't use that brand though, I use some brand made for the nail care industry, works fine and my wife picks up these little sample sized bottles for me from the salon supply place she frequents.. Cheap effective.

Actually the last couple of sets of eyes I put on I used a dab of Shoe Goo, you just have to wait 24hours to fish the fly. But since I'm a retired guy I have nothing but time anyway. Hah, I tied those flies in Feb still haven't fished them !!

I use Dollar Store super glue gel for my eyes and regular super glue for general fly construction. Occasionally I'll use a little uv over the tops of eyes and across the top of the fly head for a stronger set.

I also use Dollar Store clear nail polish over Hard as Nails over priced stuff.

ditto on ebay for a UV light.

Interesting. Personally I've always disliked superglue, but I now use Zap-A-Gap more and more frequently, especially for applications like anchoring bead chain eyes and coating bodies. I do not know of any other product that would be as cost effective, except maybe Hard As Nails, which does not set as fast, nor as strongly in my mind. I only use two variants of the CA products, the brush-on and the gel. The gel is useful in large applications, and the brush-on is used everywhere else. Yes, I hate how the stuff hardens in the bottle eventually so I never actually get to use an entire container, does not always cure properly (CA accelerator fixes that), tough to remove spills (CA remover fixes that), etc. But until someone shows me an equivalent product, it will remain in my arsenal. YMMV.

I've moved on to the super glue in the bottle with a brush and haven't looked back. Everything I've hated about ca glues in the past is now a non issue. I think it's loc tote brand.

Super Glue ... from Dollar Tree. 2 bottles or three tubes for a dollar.

I can't even complain when one hardens up ... losing a few cents is impossible to get worked up about.

for attaching eyes on streamers try Tear Mender. It has a pretty thin viscosity, so it can soak all the way thru the material down to the hook shank. Saturate the area pretty liberally and put a little on the back of the eye. Press and hold on the eye on the saturated area for about 10 seconds....and repeat on the other side of the head. I use a little hair clip over the head, which presses the eyes onto the hook shank and holds it in place over night until the glue is fully cured. I have not had an eye come off yet....both myself and my clients.

For super glue...do as mentioned above. Get the cheap stuff at the dollar store. The brushable ones are awesome.

FR

Yes I got your red tail fly, thanks. I lost your email amongst the masses. I attach eyes like Capt. bob with the stuff use to fletch arrows and nocks. Works great.

for attaching eyes on streamers try Tear Mender. It has a pretty thin viscosity, so it can soak all the way thru the material down to the hook shank. Saturate the area pretty liberally and put a little on the back of the eye. Press and hold on the eye on the saturated area for about 10 seconds....and repeat on the other side of the head. I use a little hair clip over the head, which presses the eyes onto the hook shank and holds it in place over night until the glue is fully cured. I have not had an eye come off yet....both myself and my clients.

For super glue...do as mentioned above. Get the cheap stuff at the dollar store. The brushable ones are awesome.

This...

The issue with holding an eyes on with super glue is that it cures rock hard, and when it is cast into something like a rock, the glue breaks. Tear Mender stays flexible. Shoe goo is also a good option but it's less forgiving and a bit messy. Zap a Gap makes a product called Zap Goo that is not a cyanoacrylate and is also great for eyes.