Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
caloosa bug

Restoring old fly line

I have some fly reels purchased at flea markets and yard sales that have old fly line. I'd like to try and use at least one of them on a cheap rod I just purchased to add to my arsenal. Some of them have decent lookong line and I was wondering what tips and tricks you guys have to bringing the line back to life.

From what I've googled it seems the consensus is to wash it in warm water and dawn soap. Then stretch it out to get it uncoiled and straighten out. A silicone fly line dressing to finish it off. Is this accurate or is it a waist of time?

That's what I have always heard.

Personally, when I I did it, it made a difference for a short time only, as the dressed line seemed to catch more dirt than before.

Maybe I was doing something wrong.

if the line is cracked from drying out and age, i dont think warm water and dawn is gonna magically bring it back to life

Find Muslin. I think that is the name. Wash in Dawn or Ivory. Let dry COMPLETELY for several days. Spray with silicon base (WD-40 works but has solvents). Let dry again, and re-wash. Pull line through Leather coated Muslin. Then re-pull the line through a dry cloth 2-3 times. That is how my Grandfather taught me to preserve old lines. I have a couple that are decades older than me. Once they get nicked/cut/cracked...There is nothing you can do but remove the section...If possible.

DrV- FYI, WD-40 does NOT contain any silicone. This has been hashed out on many woodworking sites in discussions about silicone contamination as a major cause of fisheye defects when spraying topcoats. Check the WD-40 website and it will confirm that the product contains no silicone.

A product that does contain silicone is ArmorAll if you want to use a silicone based product on your fly lines.

It's not cracked..I have a couple spools that are, but I've sorted out the best looking line out of bunch. The color looks a little faded, but the line feels like it is still pliable, not stiff like a couple others I have. It's just coiled up. I'm fixing to wash it and clean it first and see how well it will straighten out and how limber it really is.

The reason I mentioned silicone is because I have a little green can of fly line conditioner that says silicone. It's the only stuff I've used on my fly lines for the last 15 years. Mainly just because it is was the only kind I've seen. Then again not many fly shops around here, and my fly fishing in the past was only now and then during the summer bluegill spawn. Since I've been tying the last couple years I'm fly fishing every chance I get and putting my lines to work. I have 2 rods rigged with fresh line, a short 4wt. and a 7wt. I just picked up a 5wt that I'd like to carry so I can keep my 7wt rigged with heavier leader for bigger flies to be tossed in thicker cover. The line in question looks to be a middle ground between my new 4 and 7wts.

I'll look up muslin and maybe give it a try. My dad showed me years ago how to clean it, apply the silicone conditioner and wipe it down with a rag. My lines did last for many years and stayed in good condition. Again, I didn't use it very much and it stayed indoors. Thanks for the tips and I'm going to give it a go and see if I can bring it back to being usable.

Most of what's been said is fine, if you are talking about "modern" plastic coated lines. If you have some older linen or silk lines, restoring them is a whole different process.

It's definitely a modern "plastic coated" line. I didn't know there were different materials used in the past, but now that you mention it, I do have some old reels that have some funny looking line. I just assumed they were old and deteriorating. Those I'm not going to mess with.

A product that does contain silicone is ArmorAll if you want to use a silicone based product on your fly lines.

Armor All shortens the life of fly lines.

http://www.riversageoutfitters.com/fly-lines.html

"We strongly suggest not using the many automotive products that are recommended for cleaning fly lines. These products have chemicals in that will certainly de-plasticize the fly line, leaving it dry and cracked over time. Use a cleaning agent manufactured and sold by a fly line company."

http://www.sexyloops.com/manufacturers/rioproducts.shtml

"Never, ever use Armorall on a PVC fly line. It breaks down the bond and results in very poor durability. The line will dry out and harden with constant use of Armorall. We recommend a mild soapy water with a flannel to clean the line, then if you want to re-lubricate it, apply a 100% silicone, though very lightly. All PVC fly lines use silicone as a lubricant, so it is best to use the base ingredient to prolong the line's life."

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/flylines/

Fly line care………"You might consider wiping it lightly over with one of the many line dressings on the market. Be careful with vinyl treatment products such as Armorall. It will work well on some lines, but most lines need to be treated with a substance based on silicone, and the wrong liquid can course a lot of damage to the line. Read the manufacturer's instructions and consider buying the treatment particularly made for the line. Lines are expensive, and there is no need to ruin them while trying to make them better."

http://novascotiafishing.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1406-flyline/page__st__20

"Armor All:

From Scientific Anglers:

SA would advise against using Armor All. We have found that it will accelerate the aging of the fly lines and the lines may crack prematurely. "

http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=88076

"I used to clean lines with Armor All and then had some trouble with a new Scientific Anglers line and sent it back to them. It seemed to develop cracks really easily. I told them I cleaned it and used Armor All and they said that was the problem, the armor all is bad for newer fly lines. This was 5 years ago. They sent me a small bottle of their cleaner and it worked much better on the new lines."

http://truenorthtrout.com/2014/08/line-cleaning/

“I sent out a few e-mails and got a rather quick and surprising response from Erick Johnson*at Scientific Anglers.

What about these so-called Home remedies? Like AmorAll?

Erick>I get a lot of questions from users about different techniques and “home remedies” to use on their lines. The bottom line is we cannot guarantee what is in other dressing or products and how it will react with our lines. A perfect example of this is ArmorAll. For years people said that ArmorAll could be used to clean and condition fly lines. What we know now is that they actually reduce the effective lifespan of the line. This is due to the chemicals in ArmorAll reacting with the plasticizers in our coating and actually drying it out. This can lead to premature cracking and line failure. “

I remember my Dad using Crisco to dress his fly lines.

Since it is vegetable based, it's not "bad" for the lines.

Since it doesn't mix with water, it makes a great flotant for floating lines.

Since it easily washes off with dish soap, it's makes the lines easier to clean.

And, it repels water and the contaminants in it, so it actually stayed clean longer.

It was also readily available in our house.

Wife and I don't use it, so it's not around my house now, or I'd still be using it.

Good info everyone. I'm still learning and thanks for your suggestions. I am going to use what I already have on hand. Give it a good cleaning then apply the green can silicone fly line dressing. Which is accardo fly line conditioner. If it still doesn't come back to being usable, I'll just buy new line. Thanks again.

You may have a double taper line. If so, the other end may be useable. Just give it a cleaning and reverse ends on the reel.