Fly Tying
mooxe

Online Stores for Materials

I am looking for a good American or Canadian online store that sells materials. I am familiar with J.Stockyard's site. Bass Pro and Cabela's are too pricey. Google brings back many sites but I'd like to know what people around here use.

Hookhack.com

I get all my fly stuff as well as most of my rod building stuff from them. They ship within 48 hrs and usually receive it within a week. They are also extremely friendly and easy to deal with as well as if you give them a call or email they'll help get you exactly what you need

Dream Drift Flies, Hook & Hackle, and J Stockard I use on a regular basis, and have gotten excellent fast service from all three. Fly Tyers Dungeon (good stuff cheap, but can be slow,) Allen Hooks, Green Caddis, Hooks (again inexpensive, but shipping can take some time on occasion.)

I'll add Jann's NetCraft, FeatherCraft, Blue Ribbon Flies, eFlytyer.com (clumsy web site, but good stuff and good prices).

There are dozens that do a good job, but no one has everything, and no one has the best prices on everything. Some fly shops, like Carolina Mountain Sports will do mail order, even though they don't have an online catalog. You just call and tell them what you are looking for. They'll tell you what they have and give you a price.

Pick out 2 or 3 that cover most of your needs. If you spread your business too thin, the shipping costs will eat you up. They all deal with the same wholesale suppliers, so there's not really that much difference (heresy, I know.)

Thanks! phg you are probably right about the suppliers.

I have'haven't really found that much difference in any prices, for any materials. Nothing to justify dropping a site completely. Even the expensive stuff only differs a few dollars here and there.

I was hoping to find a bit more Jungle Cock, but it seems this Estonian guy has the monopoly on that market through EBay.

1. J. Stockard

2. Caddis Fly Shop

3. ummmmm.....

That's the order I go in. Caster's Fly Shop is another one I've ordered from once or twice.

Last time I ordered from Whitewater Flies, 2 of the 5 items in my order were wrong. What?! Screw up 40% of an order? The time before that something was messed up also. So I stick with just a two or three places and reward them for good service.

EDIT: How did I forget about Fly Tyers Dungeon? [slap] I love the Congo Hair and Igor Eyes.

Mike Hogue at eFlyTyer.com has a few jungle cock capes, you might check with him. Most of what I have seen from the Estonian have been tyer's grade capes. They aren't bad for what they are, but they aren't worth a whole lot of $$.

John McLane, at FeathersMC, sometimes has JC as well.

Flytyers dungeon:

Just got a baitfish box in. So much Congo hair... I think I'm set for life.

Buying eyes or flash material from anywhere else is just throwing money away.

Looks like you're from Canada. I'd look for stores closer home. Some stuff available in Canada isn't available in the US, seal dubbing for example. I don't know how the exchange rate is now, so you might be better off shopping in Canada.

I do a fair amount of shopping online. I have bought a lot of stuff from J. Stockard, but recently their shipping time seems to have slowed down. When I asked them about it, I basically got a non-responsive response. For instance, an order I placed on Christmas Day with a gift certificate I received was delivered to me on Jan. 4. I recently placed a small order with In the Riffle through ebay; the order was placed Jan. 2, shipped the same day and was here on Jan. 4. Plus, where J. Stockard charges $5 for shipping, In the Riffle offers free shipping on orders over $25. I expect I will continue to purchase stuff from J. Stockard, but more of my business will be headed to In the Riffle. (Now if they could just change the way they film their tying videos, I would be even happier with them. wink.png )

I have also ordered online from Great Feathers, Caddis Fly, Performance Flies and Cookshill Flytying in the UK, who charges about $6 for shipping and gets my order to me in a week.

I have had good luck with most of the larger retailers. These include Jstockard, Hook and Hackle, In the Riffle, Allen, and Blue Quill Angler. Fly Tyers Dungeon can be a little slow, but he has communicated the fact. All the orders I have placed to him have arrived in about a week and a half. The one order that was a bit later he sent out an email saying as such.

If you are from Canada let me know what supplies you are looking for specifically and perhaps I can help, have gotten pretty good at sourcing supplies and materials at really good prices from within Canada.