Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

best vise to buy

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:38 AM

Better if the shipping was $5300, then you could tell the Misses the vise was only $50!

#62 retrocarp

retrocarp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

Now there's a thought ...;)

Nick

#63 priscillamoore

priscillamoore

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

You might check the newspapers for yard sales/tag sales/garage sales; the ads often will state that they have "tools for sale." You can pick up a vise or a number of tools still in good shape--and cheap!--this way.

#64 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:42 AM

umm wrong kind of vise

Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#65 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:55 PM

That's a spam account unless I'm very mistaken

#66 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

Vicente is, in my opinion, a man with a keen eye for BS.
If you are mistaken, that makes two of us.
Bimini15

#67 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

First IGNORE whatever you read here!!!!!  Go to a local fly club and see if they'll let you try out some of their rotary vises or even a fly shop that teach's classes. 

Anyone can offer advice on what to buy but if YOU aren't comfortable tying on it, you won't enjoy your time on the vise - and at least for me tying is a way to relax

Just Fishing! All life is that to some extent. If we are not fishing for one thing it is another. But angling! That's just a bit different. In it we find peace and contentment and much with which to occupy our minds. May the balance of our fishing days be blessed with congenial comrades and "tight lines." Ray Bergman

#68 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

The best advice given has been to go to shops and try different vices. If they are outside your affordability then pick one that you REALLY like and go searching. Ebay, Craig's list, even local estate auctions. I got my first Nor-bobbin in an estate sale...Took me years to figure out what it was. I think i paid $5 for the entire collection...You never know when you might get lucky. Just keep looking.

#69 XChief

XChief

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:39 PM

The best AD-Vice I can give you from experience is to get one that will hold the hook firmly for the amount of money you are willing to spend.  I inhaled too much fumes from the head cement I was using and got really stupid one day and bought a Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer that was over $500.00.  That being said, That is what I choose and what features I liked and what I couldn't afford and bought it anyway.  I have used the Atlas and the cheap ones that come with the kits.  Myself I had trouble with hook holding power of the Atlas.  It will work, you get what you pay for.  At $150.00 for the Atlas it is a good deal.  Others like the way the jaws work on other vises, I've never used them.  But I would not trade my Dyna-King for anything, it cost too much for me to do that.

#70 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:23 PM

To much fumes?:-o I'm glad i have to drive to the flyshop, hate for it to be only down the road & end up in there drunk oneday! $$$$$$:'(

#71 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

The best AD-Vice I can give you from experience is to get one that will hold the hook firmly for the amount of money you are willing to spend.  I inhaled too much fumes from the head cement I was using and got really stupid one day and bought a Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer that was over $500.00.  That being said, That is what I choose and what features I liked and what I couldn't afford and bought it anyway.  I have used the Atlas and the cheap ones that come with the kits.  Myself I had trouble with hook holding power of the Atlas.  It will work, you get what you pay for.  At $150.00 for the Atlas it is a good deal.  Others like the way the jaws work on other vises, I've never used them.  But I would not trade my Dyna-King for anything, it cost too much for me to do that.

Loveeeeeee my ultimate.

#72 JAMAL

JAMAL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:53 AM

The Renzitte Master is the best vise for me. so stable n smooth.

I also own the Griffin Spider vise which is my travel vise, it claim

a max hook size of 4/0 but upon testing the vise can clamp hook

size 8/0. I also own the Griffin Montana Mongoose  Vise but never

use it. it is good but every time I will be using the Renzitte Master.

33v2hxz.jpg

#73 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

J-vice fan here, very happy with every function and workmanship is amazing. Inspiring to use Jay Smit's art sculpture to create more art.

Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Established: Circa "Whenever you see anything I have, ... that you must buy!"

#74 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

How bout a pic Flat Rock ?