Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Woodenlegs

Bobbins

I had one and for me it didn’t work as advertised 

it would never retract 

sent it back for a full refund 

👎👎

I've seen one and wasn't impressed enough to buy it.  I like simple.

The Nor-vise auto bobbin is a self retracting vise as well.  I have 3 and they work very well for me.  

I've tried several technical bobbins and always end up back with my plain old style.  I learned to control thread tension by squeezing the spool and find any other mechanism awkward.  I like simple and shy away from the complicated types that can fail.

1 hour ago, FliesbyNight said:

I've tried several technical bobbins and always end up back with my plain old style.  I learned to control thread tension by squeezing the spool and find any other mechanism awkward.  I like simple and shy away from the complicated types that can fail.

You probably don't use a rotary vise.

You can control the tension of a Norvise the same way. I've never had a Norvise bobbin fail.

Since the Norvise bobbin can lengthen or shorten the thread by itself while keeping a constant tension; you do so not have to manually rewind the thread after you lengthen the thread to use the bobbin rest while using the rotary feature of a rotary vise to wind hackle.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, SilverCreek said:

You probably don't use a rotary vise....

@Silver Creek,

I'm not sure how you made that leap but it is incorrect.

I've tied on a rotary vise for over twenty years and actually use the functionality for palmering and sculpting epoxy. 

I find the spring arm bobbins simpler and easier to use. Any bobbin with a mechanical tensioner has to be adjusted for different tensions even if you can squeeze the spool. The Norvise bobbin you mention must have a spring to control the length of the thread that requires periodic adjusting.

Any mechanical device will eventually fail.  It may take a long time but it will happen and no manufacturing process is perfect. The more mechanically complicated a device, the greater the probability of failure. 

I still own and use the first bobbin I ever bought well over two decades ago.  I only own three bobbins, all spring arms with long throats and ceramic inserts.  The only reason own three is because I often use more than one thread color or type in the same fly. 

I've tried a few other types and given them all away.

I have 3 Norvise bobbins and no problems so far.

So I am a very satisfied customer.

What you say about complexity is true. However, I still drive a car rather than walk. I suspect that you do as well.

@SilverCreek,

Based on your recommendation, I was contemplating trying a Norvise bobbin. 

At ~$95 a pop, I'll stick with $5 spring arm bobbins.  This kinda ties in with the "Is fly tying worth it?" thread.  It can save you money depending on your outlook and needs.

I'll manually roll up my excess thread and spend that money elsewhere, like say on materials or fly line.

To each their own, which is part of the beauty of this hobby.

6 minutes ago, FliesbyNight said:

To each their own, which is part of the beauty of this hobby.

👍

I have 4 of the Ekich Bobbins. You can only put the thread spool on one way. If if doesn't retrieve, take it off and put it on the other way. Most but not all brands of thread fit on the arbor. Some are too small but a quick reaming or a drill open the spools right up to fit correctly. I had a few Norvise bobbins but I found having to wind each empty bobbin was a pain plus you loose the factory tension on the factory spools. Thread control is very important when tying but a lot of tyers haven't figured that out yet. It's all about thread control. Ekich makes a great bobbin worth every penny.

Xpatier has it 90 percent correct.  Most spools work fine.  In the minority of spools that don’t work most are to tight. A quarter inch drilll bit solves that simply.  The rest of the ones that don’t work are too big.  For those rare spools, I use a round print instead of the flat one that come with it. 

this is really getting into the weeds though. I have a hundred or so spools, I have used the drill bit say 10 times and the new o ring only twice. 

On 4/18/2022 at 7:54 AM, FliesbyNight said:

@Silver Creek,

I'm not sure how you made that leap but it is incorrect.

I've tied on a rotary vise for over twenty years and actually use the functionality for palmering and sculpting epoxy. 

I find the spring arm bobbins simpler and easier to use. Any bobbin with a mechanical tensioner has to be adjusted for different tensions even if you can squeeze the spool. The Norvise bobbin you mention must have a spring to control the length of the thread that requires periodic adjusting.

Any mechanical device will eventually fail.  It may take a long time but it will happen and no manufacturing process is perfect. The more mechanically complicated a device, the greater the probability of failure. 

I still own and use the first bobbin I ever bought well over two decades ago.  I only own three bobbins, all spring arms with long throats and ceramic inserts.  The only reason own three is because I often use more than one thread color or type in the same fly. 

I've tried a few other types and given them all away.

FliesByNight   ....You are incorrect in your post that "Any bobbin with a mechanical tensioner has to be adjusted for different tensions even if you can squeeze the spool. The Norvise bobbin you mention must have a spring to control the length of the thread that requires periodic adjusting."

Neither the Norvise or the Ekich bobbin need ANY ADJUSTMENT to the mechanical tensioner. I've tied with both for years and never have they needed adjustment to the tensioner. Both are sealed units. 

Terry

Edited by XPATier
Directed to wrong person