Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Tippet Rings

Been using Rio tippet rings for about 3 years now, I tie a clinch knot. No problems at all whatsoever.  SilverCreek has it right in that you don't shorten the transition section of the leader. I've also been fishing a Gary Borger Uni--body leader. Makes life just that much simpler.

uni-body-to-harvey-style-leader

Following this conversation and I have a question:

Does the ring cause hinging in the leader? It seems like it would break to transmission of energy down the leader.

I don't use rings as my tippet sections are more robust and I've always just tied new sections and leaders as needed but I can see the need when you have small diameter tippets.

It might be something to look into since I use a fluorocarbon tippet section almost exclusively.

I started using tippet rings very recently after somebody here recommended them. Turns out I love them. The only thing I can say is try them and see how they work for you, I don’t see or feel any difference with or without them. What I do notice is how long I can fish the same tapered leader with a ring.  Having less knots and having less knots to tie and super consistent leaders and tippets overrides any concern I have of hinging. Give them a go I think you will find there’s nothing to hate about them and everything to like. At least thats been my limited experience. 

A for shortening the leader, a leader and tippet are  the least expensive part of fly fishing. I'm more concerned about losing a fly with the cost of materials and time.

23 hours ago, Sandan said:

Been using Rio tippet rings for about 3 years now, I tie a clinch knot. No problems at all whatsoever.  SilverCreek has it right in that you don't shorten the transition section of the leader. I've also been fishing a Gary Borger Uni--body leader. Makes life just that much simpler.

uni-body-to-harvey-style-leader

Here's my post that explains Gary Borger's Unibody Leader. Go down to post 3 on this page.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/leader-tying.343201/page-2

Thanks for all of the input! 

The reason I gave tippet rings a try is because I tend to change flies a lot, I shouldn't but I do.  As such  I go through a couple of lengths of tippet a session.  Not only do I not shorten the last section of leader to the point of needing to replace it over a couple of sessions but it is much faster to replace the tippet using a ring.  Just as an FYI I'm warm water fishing down here in Florida though I will try them for Cold water whenever I get the opportunity again.  I am loath to try them for salt water fishing down here, I have enough problems with mackerel and needlefish cutting my leader by eating knots zipping through the water without adding anything that might provide any more glint/sparkle.

Swamp

20 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Here's my post that explains Gary Borger's Unibody Leader. Go down to post 3 on this page.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/leader-tying.343201/page-2

Thanks for that. Very nice explanation.  I find that the Unibody leader works excellently.  In fact I've needle/nail knotted the butt/transition section to my fly line as that's the one part of the leader that I never change.  The leader works for everything(for me) from chucking streamers, to nymphing to long 17' dry fly leader. 

21 hours ago, Sandan said:

I find that the Unibody leader works excellently. 

I've been looking to move away from extruded store bought leaders for a while now, just wasn't sure in which direction to head. 

I'll go with what yous guys suggest.   Just order up a couple of rolls of Maxima, I always have plenty of 4-6 tippet. 

Thanks for the push.   

2 hours ago, niveker said:

I've been looking to move away from extruded store bought leaders for a while now, just wasn't sure in which direction to head. 

I'll go with what yous guys suggest.   Just order up a couple of rolls of Maxima, I always have plenty of 4-6 tippet. 

Thanks for the push.   

Like SilverCreek said, Maxima Chameleon, .020 diameter - 25lb test and the .013 is 12 lb. Borger says you can also use Maxima Clear, but not the green. I use Chameleon for the butt and ultraclear for the transition.  A 27 yard spool of both will last you a long, long time.

On 6/20/2022 at 9:14 AM, flytire said:

what about closed jump rings from the craft store jewelry department?

closed-jump-ring.jpg

I was about to suggest this too -- I made furled leaders for sale for a while, and found that jump rings worked great. Nice an inexpensive, too. 

On 6/20/2022 at 5:38 PM, FliesbyNight said:

Following this conversation and I have a question:

Does the ring cause hinging in the leader? It seems like it would break to transmission of energy down the leader.

I don't use rings as my tippet sections are more robust and I've always just tied new sections and leaders as needed but I can see the need when you have small diameter tippets.

It might be something to look into since I use a fluorocarbon tippet section almost exclusively.

I use flouro tippet almost always. I use mono only when I'm chucking streamers. The ring does not cause any hinging at all.  Trout fishing.

22 hours ago, Sandan said:

I use Chameleon for the butt and ultraclear for the transition. 

I ordered the Chameleon for both.  Do you use the Clear due to visibility some other characteristic?

22 hours ago, Sandan said:

A 27 yard spool of both will last you a long, long time

Yes, the more I looked in to it after reading the posted links, that's what I thought also, good to hear the confirmation. 

It also seems more convenient when you go from throwing #18 dries to small nymphs and soft hackles to #8 streamers all within a few hundred feet on the stream.  

My apologies to @Swamp Fly for the thread hi-jack.  

1 hour ago, niveker said:

<snip>

No Need, it's all good.  The topic is directly related anyway.

Carry on...

3 hours ago, niveker said:

I ordered the Chameleon for both.  Do you use the Clear due to visibility some other characteristic?

I use it because the shop was out of Chameleon in .013" diameter. And Borger said it was OK 😉

Yes, the more I looked in to it after reading the posted links, that's what I thought also, good to hear the confirmation. 

I just ponied up for a second spool, after about 3 years

It also seems more convenient when you go from throwing #18 dries to small nymphs and soft hackles to #8 streamers all within a few hundred feet on the stream.  

Totally more convenient. Just clip off at the 3mm ring, tie on some "streamer" tippet and your good to go. When you go back to fishing something else, clip at the ring and re-tie what you clipped off. I have a small zip-lock that I use to hold clipped off sections for re-use.