Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Stereotypes

In the first few seconds of the video, it seems that a beer is being passed along. Tennessee has now passed a law that boating under the influence (BUI) is the same as driving under the influence (DUI) and carries the same penalties.

It's pretty much the same in PA, plus alcohol is prohibited on land and water at all state parks and at most U.S. Army Corps of Engineer projects.  I know when I first started going to the lodge in NE Ontario you would see guys going out for the day with a couple of six packs.  Maybe they weren't enforcing the law back then, but now don't want to be caught with an open can of beer or any empty cans in the boat.

I don't think I would care to be around people with alcohol, hooks and outboard motors. Lone Star Law show has a lot of BUI citations plus no PFD. 

boaters are going to drink

drivers are going to drink

drinkers are going to drink

i dont want to be near any of them

Db5T.gif

Hilarious. I wonder what stereotype i am. 

I always bring a 6 pack when fishing, i usually have 2 or 3 beers in a day out fishing, nothing better than a cold beer on a hot day that's what Canadians do. I sit back and enjoy the scenery for a half hour, watch the river while having a beer. No need to get drunk.

30 minutes ago, flytire said:

boaters are going to drink

drivers are going to drink

drinkers are going to drink

i dont want to be near any of them

Actually only drinkers are going to drink. They will drink while driving, boating, cutting the grass, bowling, wherever, drinkers are going to drink.

part of that guys Schtick is beer. I won’t watch him because I do not think drinking should be made out to be a normal part of fishing. I don’t fish with people who drink when they fish and I won’t go on a boat if anybody is drinking on it. Having to drink when you fish makes you a drinker who likes to fish and not an angler who like an occasional beer. Drinkers will argue this point because that’s what drinkers do. For the record, I do drink and I’m up to 2 beers this year. Neither was while I was fishing, driving or boating. To each their own but that’s my way of looking at it.

As I understand it, at least in Massachusetts, there are no open container boating laws.  A passenger in a boat can drink, not the operator.  

Frankly, in this day and age, I'm more concerned about people being under  the influence of over-the-counter, legal,  and/or illegal drugs than alcohol. 

And yes, I do drink.  Depending on my schedule, I may have a beer or two on or waiting for me when I get off the river.  

That makes me a fisherman who enjoys a beer or two on and off the river,  that's what Mass-holes do I sit back, usually I'm with a brother or cousin, enjoy the scenery, wring out my socks, and talk about the huge trouts they watched me catch.  

Back to the OP, 

I enjoy this guy's parodies most of the time, but I'm not much of a you-tube watcher so I don't seek his videos out.

Though I enjoy fly fishing and tying immensely, I guess I just don't take it serious enough to fit into any of those stereotypes. 

2 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

Hilarious. I wonder what stereotype i am. 

I always bring a 6 pack when fishing, i usually have 2 or 3 beers in a day out fishing, nothing better than a cold beer on a hot day that's what Canadians do. I sit back and enjoy the scenery for a half hour, watch the river while having a beer. No need to get drunk.

Beer is actually a diuretic. Same with diet soft drinks. My father said during WWII, they called it airplane beer; drink one and P-40. Better to drink a sport drink with electrolytes, etc.

Technically the alcohol in beer is the diuretic. Diuretics cause you to pee more water than you take in = a net loss of water.

"Drinking alcohol inhibits the body’s release of the hormone vasopressin."  Vasopressin is also known as ADH (Anti-diuretic Hormone)

https://www.healthline.com/health/why-does-alcohol-make-you-pee#effect-on-urination

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537780/

So NA beer is not a diuretic nor are diet soft drinks because they do not contain any alcohol. They make you pee because you are taking in more water BUT to be a diuretic, they have to make you pee more water than you take in.

31 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Technically the alcohol in beer is the diuretic. Diuretics cause you to pee more water than you take in = a net loss of water.

"Drinking alcohol inhibits the body’s release of the hormone vasopressin."  Vasopressin is also known as ADH (Anti-diuretic Hormone)

https://www.healthline.com/health/why-does-alcohol-make-you-pee#effect-on-urination

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5537780/

So NA beer is not a diuretic nor are diet soft drinks because they do not contain any alcohol. They make you pee because you are taking in more water BUT to be a diuretic, they have to make you pee more water than you take in.

My doctor was going to prescribe a pill that was a diuretuc but couldn't as it would have adverse effects on another medicine. No alcohol, just a pill. 

Edit- the part about diet drinks was in an article about playing golf in hot weather. The doctor who wrote the article pointed out that alcoholic beverages and diet drinks were not to be consumed in hot weather. One can be dehydrated by merely drinking plain water and losing electrolytes. AMHIK. We now keep sport drinks on hand during hot weather.

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

My doctor was going to prescribe a pill that was a diuretuc but couldn't as it would have adverse effects on another medicine. No alcohol, just a pill. 

Edit- the part about diet drinks was in an article about playing golf in hot weather. The doctor who wrote the article pointed out that alcoholic beverages and diet drinks were not to be consumed in hot weather. One can be dehydrated by merely drinking plain water and losing electrolytes. AMHIK. We now keep sport drinks on hand during hot weather.

I understand what you are getting at. However, "dehydration" is the loss of water alone like "dehydrated fruit" like prunes. Therefore you cannot become "dehydrated" by drinking water.

Rather, the reason is that in hot and especially hot and HUMID weather, we sweat more to keep our bodies and our brain from overheating.

When you sweat, you lose electrolytes, especially Na, Cl, and K. So if you are sweating a lot, replacing the electrolytes in addition to water is important to prevents muscle cramps.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210318101536.htm

When I played football in high school in the 1960s, our coaches passed out salt tablets along with water. Now they use sports drinks.

19 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I understand what you are getting at. However, "dehydration" is the loss of water alone like "dehydrated fruit" like prunes. Therefore you cannot become "dehydrated" by drinking water.

Rather, the reason is that in hot and especially hot and HUMID weather, we sweat more to keep our bodies and our brain from overheating.

When you sweat, you lose electrolytes, especially Na, Cl, and K. So if you are sweating a lot, replacing the electrolytes in addition to water is important to prevents muscle cramps.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210318101536.htm

When I played football in high school in the 1960s, our coaches passed out salt tablets along with water. Now they use sports drinks.

You lose water by dehydration. Hard to sweat and not lose the electrolytes. Have taken salt tablets working in an un-A/C factory.