Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

59 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

Niveker, does the Snowshoe foot make it float?  I really like both of them.

While you wait for Niveker to rely, my opinion is that any material on a dry fly that is placed ABOVE the hook and therefore ABOVE the water line CANNOT "make" a fly float.

SilverCreek is correct, so @DarrellP, I'll say that snowshoe hare is a great material to help suspend the fly in the water. 

I love the stuff.  Has a beautiful translucence (which is probably lost on the trouts), suspends well, and does not get destroyed by fish slime.  Rinse it, squeeze it, and you're good to go.  It also behaves with any of the floatants I have used on it.  On the whole a much better material than CDC, IMHO.  Makes great emerger wings, suspending the body just below the surface.  The underfur makes great scraggly/wirey dubbing too.  

Those Rio Grande King patterns above I have not fished yet, but they were an idea bouncing around in my head these past few days since reading about the history of that fly pattern.  My intention with the Snowshoe wing was to keep the fly in and just below the surface.  

Definitely pick up a natural foot next time you're in the fly shop, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Choose one with the most translucent tips.  It can be a bit slippery when tying in.  

Tried to post some photos of patterns using snowshoe, but got the verboten message.  

Effing frustrating

I just tired to simply reply to a post form Noah and can't load that. 

Clouser Gray.JPG

On 9/9/2022 at 7:46 AM, niveker said:

Rio Grande King, Trude style variant

Posted those photos from my phone, I'm just now looking at them on my laptop. 

Man I've got to clean that fly line, and what the hell kind of a knot is that on the tippet? LOL.  

Still casually dressed, less casually photographed... 

Hook: Mustad 9672 #6

Thread: Black Thompson Monobond 3/0

Tail: Muskrat back fur

Body: Non-felted Muskrat back fur noodle

Collar: Muskrat back fur

"Head": Black ostrich

Casual Dress 6.JPG

21 minutes ago, denduke said:

Reminds me of BreadCrust.

Nice. Bluegill are already nuts, that should drive them even nuttier. Have you fished it yet?