Fly Tying
SBPatt

November Flies From the Vise

2 hours ago, niveker said:

get heavy though.

Chuck & duck, hardhats optional. but it fishes deep with a lot of movement.

I still can't go back one page on this site.So i can't even see anything except pages 1-4 or the current one for any post .The flies are the reason i come here.

3 minutes ago, jcozzz said:

I still can't go back one page on this site.So i can't even see anything except pages 1-4 or the current one for any post .The flies are the reason i come here.

Long press the “next” or “prev” buttons and it will pop up a window with the next page. 

Trying out my black Friday purchase -- a clip-on ring-shaped Ott Lite ($16 after 60% BF discount). Still getting used to it, but I do like it. 

1541388589_GreenCaddisLarva14.thumb.jpg.b5cd763b837de757f50438c0ecddd5f0.jpg

1 hour ago, jcozzz said:

@jcozzz

the inability to navigate from one page to another is an anomaly on this website that has been discussed over and over in a different category on the forum 

Site Help and Suggestions - Fly Tying (flytyingforum.com)

moderators cannot fix this problem, only the owner of the forum can

it happens to a number of members and even myself as a moderator. one day it works another day it doesnt

just right click with your mouse on the page you want to go to and open that page in a new window

in the future, please use the link i provided above to post problems with the website

37 minutes ago, upnorthtier said:

Nice looking bug, also like you're sig on the vice

thanks upnorthier

Softhackle Spundun R/A Green Peter

52532994655_0154f3d699_c.jpg

52532536021_6e152f5ff5_c.jpg

52532522241_ca55515f48_c.jpg

52532803699_a63277571c_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 3 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 camel 
butt - Arizona Simi Seal red
rib - small wire gold
body - Starburst dubbing olive
body hackle - brown 
thorax/wing - deer hair 
collar - pheasant rump

Regards,
Scott

Hook: Ahrex FW580 #8
Rib: Gold wire
Body: Black and gold micro straggle fritz
Tail/Back: Matched pair of jungle cock shoulder feathers, tied in Matuka style
Hackle: Furnace hen
Cheeks: Jungle Cock
Thread: Uni thread 8/0 black

When you get to the end of George Barron’s excellent book ‘At the end of the line’ on classic loch style wet flies there are a couple of pages of flies that don’t really fall into the category of traditional wet flies. These are his ‘Newt Streamers’ based on the old Ace of Spades style with a Matuka style wing and refined over a number of years. Not posted in a while as, until this summer been without a decent macro lens after changing camera systems. 

Newt Streamer-1.jpg

Glad you got your lens problem solved; that’s a beautiful fly. I ordered that book from a shop in the U.K. last year but they ended up being out of stock; need to look again because I love his work. Can’t wait to see more of yours.

Regards,
Scott

1 hour ago, olive_dabbler said:

Beautiful work here!  From the tie itself to the photography skill - Mind if I use this as my desktop background at work?  Top Notch - thank you for sharing!

Newt Streamer-1.jpg

3 hours ago, SBPatt said:

Glad you got your lens problem solved; that’s a beautiful fly. I ordered that book from a shop in the U.K. last year but they ended up being out of stock; need to look again because I love his work. Can’t wait to see more of yours.

Regards,
Scott

Hi Scott, George's first book was self published, not sure how easy it is to get a copy these days. Could try emailing him: [email protected]. His second book "A fine Line" is still available.

Iain

Refilling the warm water box for next year: Stealth Bombers, Charlie Boy Hoppers, and Dave's Hoppers.  

IMG20221130092644b.jpg

Carson-1080.jpg

Carson 

Steelhead

Hook - Single salmon

Thread - Black

Tail - Golden pheasant tippet barbs

Body - Peacock herl with a red floss center band

Hackle - Brown tied on as a collar and tied back and down 

Wing - White bucktail tied over the body, with an over wing of a small bunch of red bucktail

Cheeks - Jungle cock

Sumner Carson of Eureka, California, originated this pattern around 1900. His original flies had wings of married red and white duck quill sections. About 1935 this was changed to hair wings. This was a period strongly influenced by Jim Pray, when a number of patterns made the transition.

Fish Flies: The Encyclopedia of the Fly Tier's Art - Terry Hellekson