Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikechell

Highly recommended movies

There are a lot of good movies out there these days.  Old movies that can still be seen. New movies that are based on video games or comics.  I'm usually not a fan of exposé or "true story" movies.

However, Wife and I watched "Sound of Freedom" today.  Excellent!  Excellent acting, story line and cinematography.  Based on a true story and NOT hollywood-ized, there's no unreal high speed car chases or limitless bullet gun battles.  But the story doesn't need it.  An exposé on human trafficking, it should be a forerunner for the oscars.

My wife and I saw Sound of freedom yesterday, this is the first movie I’ve been to in years and I’m glad we went. Totally agree with Mikechell!

Some comments have been deleted. Seriously, I can't believe I still 20 yrs later have to remind you guys to keep the politics out of the comments. Few of the comments even took shots at certain news channels. How does that have anything to do with Mike saying he liked a movie.

KNOCK IT OFF. Only warning.

You are correct. I apologize for my snide comment, especially to Mike  for possibly derailing a worthwhile thread

I apologize for starting this thread with this particular movie.  Been a long time since Wife and I went to the theater, and this movie was extremely good.  The messages at the end (stay until the "special message" airs) are certainly poignant.  I don't get the political controversy since the movie isn't political in any way.  It's a crime drama.

I was hoping to get more input on movies people have seen recently that are also highly recommended ... especially those that aren't well advertised.

I'll put in a second movie that I finally got the chance to see ... "Dune"(2021).  The recent version is as close to the book as it can be.  And I'm dying to see part 2 when it comes out.

22 minutes ago, mikechell said:

"Dune"(2021).  The recent version is as close to the book as it can be. 

Good to know, really enjoyed those books.  I was a bit of a  sci-fi freak in my younger days.    I don't really go to the movies much anymore, now that my kids have grown up.  Maybe once every 6-8 years.  

Not a movie, but if you haven't seen it yet check out the Netflix series "The Last Kingdom". Flat out awesome series. I just finished it last week and loved every single episode of it.

That looks good, Steve.  But it's another one of those subscription services that we don't have.  We dropped them a few years back.

Just a couple of favorites of mine..."October Sky"  &  "Second Hand Lions" The first is based on a true uplifting story and the other is just plain fun.

If you have Amazon Prime and are a fan of "The Lord of the Rings" watch the "Rings of Power" series.

I think I'd personally rather tie a fly than watch the TV. Just me though. I wouldn't poo-poo those that do. The last thing I watched that I liked was "Vikings"

Last year at this time I was down from prostrate surgery, so we bought a blue Ray disc player and I watched my favorite movies pretty much all day for a few weeks, The Searchers, Lawerence of Arabia, The Hunt for Red October, and my all time favorite True Grit. Sometimes one needs a diversion for what ever reasons and I’m thankful I was able to take my mind off the issues I had at that time!

2 hours ago, partsman said:

Last year at this time I was down from prostrate surgery, so we bought a blue Ray disc player and I watched my favorite movies pretty much all day for a few weeks, The Searchers, Lawerence of Arabia, The Hunt for Red October, and my all time favorite True Grit. Sometimes one needs a diversion for what ever reasons and I’m thankful I was able to take my mind off the issues I had at that time!

Yep.

“Fill your hand you son of a bitch” not only is True Grit a great movie so was its sequel, Rooster Cogburn. 

I gotta chime in here. One of my all time favorites Sam Peckinpah's "The Wild Bunch"

Several mentions of John Wayne's great role as Rooster Cogburn. I have to add my favorite starring "The Duke" is The Shootist.