Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

The challenge thread needs....

....a new bunch of tyers to participate.

its the same 3-5 tyers doing all of the challenges

otherwise we just might as well just keep using the monthly flies from the vise

I'd be interested in getting in on this - one question, though: when suggesting the next fly, is it required to be a pattern that hasn't been suggested before? I just noticed there are 75 pages in this thread, so I'm guessing that "something new under the sun" might be a tall order. 

I'm pretty new here but the challenge thread is what got me interested.  I often accept a challenge to tie but I try to let it sit for a day at least to give other people opportunity. It's been a great way to try tying some new flies.  Showing my work has led me to focus on improving my skills more than picky fish has.  

As far tracking the patterns, Norm was nice enough to create(and maintain) a list of the challenge flies in a separate post so it's easier to track what has been done already.  

I am wondering if a weekly challenge where someone posts a fly and anyone interested give that pattern a shot that week would get more involvement.  First to post or perhaps the decided winner, picked by the one who decided the challenge, calls the next week's challenge fly.  I know I sometimes tie the challenge fly even if someone else has already accepted 

6 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

Currently 193 patterns have been tied http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/112443-challenge-thread-fly-pattern-list/ That's really not that many compared to all of the possibilities. 

Thanks for the link Jaydub (and thanks to Flytire for putting the list together). :)

1 hour ago, Heff2 said:

I know I sometimes tie the challenge fly even if someone else has already accepted 

you can always post what youve tied even if someone else has accepted the challenge

Since my fishing is warm water, most of the challenge flies are for Trout, I pass on them.  Also many of the responses are made before I see the challenge.    Not complaining, just observing. Rick 

On 10/4/2023 at 3:24 PM, flytire said:

you can always post what youve tied even if someone else has accepted the challenge

This would be kind of cool, I think, glad you mentioned it.  I'll do it occasionally when I finally get around to unpacking my tying hoard.  

On 10/4/2023 at 3:24 PM, flytire said:

you can always post what you've tied even if someone else has accepted the challege

Of course, it is beneficial to see other variations of the pattern, a good example is when I tied the Henshall original vs the Bergman wet pattern. Many tiers will use different techniques or materials it's good to see these, we all can get ideas out of it. 

I agree, I think that when someone posts the next pattern give people a chance to claim it. When the mnew one is claimed in 1` or 2 hours that doesn't really give those of us who might be busy for a while to grab the new challenge.