Fly Tying
flytire

Oh crap

Hopefully its the light fluffy stuff.  I'd take a foot of power over 3 inches of the wet stuff.  Also,  I charged up the battery for my leaf blower.  thx for that tidbit.  

Well I was almost thinking that maybe, just maybe we might get through the winter without snow, but I guess it was inevitable.  After the torrential rains over the summer I glad that mother nature left New England alone until now anyway.  Then again it might be nothing.  I never buy into the media's annual first of the year snow storm panic broadcast.  I'm sure they're breathlessly reporting LIVE 24/7 from the milk and bread isle at the supermarket, doing their very best to convince the population that it's the Blizzard of '78 again. Come to think of it I don't buy into anything that the media "journalist" report anymore.  Do they think we've never seen snow? As a 58 year resident of New England 12" of snow is nothing but a minor bother that needs to be cleared.   So tomorrow I'll be stockpiling wood in the basement for the stove and doing some other minimal prepping.  I'll start our 20 year old snow blower, which I did winterize last spring just to make sure all is well, if not I can still get to a parts place before it gets ugly.   For some reason I love tying flies during winter storms and that helped me make my peace with the old man long ago.  

"the milk and bread isle at the supermarket"  We really never had that up north but down here in OK that's a real thing. We keep a loaf in freezer just in case but we just predicted with 3-4 days of pipe freezing below freezing weather and this will clean the bread shelves off and greatly deplete other things in the small Super in our town. We'll do an order for Walmart pickup tomorrow and get ready for this but leaving cabinet doors open and pipes dripping may but in store for us for a few days. The only pipes we've had freeze are those leading to kitchen faucet and this year we had kid go under house and put insulation on the all. Up north we had to live with heat tape on everything and it was fine as long as we had power.                               

We got a whole whopping 3/4" of snow here last night lol. At least I don't have to go out and blow it/shovel. I usually do mine as well as two of my elderly neighbors so as I get older myself the less I have to do snow the better I say!

The forecast for us was accurate for once, about 9 in right now maybe another one or two by the time the snow ends. 

WE are supposed to get 6" Monday into Tuesday. That will be some insulation keep pipes from freezing.

There are still cracks in the ground from the drought.

Rick

26 minutes ago, RickZieger said:

WE are supposed to get 6" Monday into Tuesday. That will be some insulation keep pipes from freezing.

There are still cracks in the ground from the drought.

Rick

Yep. Up north I looked forward to the first good snow and hope it came before the sub zero temps we had. I would go around the house and build up as much insulation of snow I could and then every snow after that I'd fill in behind the pile as it melted away from the house. Kept the pipes from freezing and limited time we had to run the heat tapes. I kept a path around house for snowblower to pile the snow up but much of the early years I did a lot of shoveling.

15 hours ago, vicrider said:

Yep. Up north I looked forward to the first good snow and hope it came before the sub zero temps we had. I would go around the house and build up as much insulation of snow I could and then every snow after that I'd fill in behind the pile as it melted away from the house. Kept the pipes from freezing and limited time we had to run the heat tapes. I kept a path around house for snowblower to pile the snow up but much of the early years I did a lot of shoveling.

Vic we've lived through some bitterly cold sub zero weeks in the past and have never had an issue with frozen pipes.  The only time that was a concern was when the power would go out for multiple days.  We installed wood stove in the basement which is capable of keeping the upper floors well above freezing, that said more than once my wife and I had to sleep wearing thermals, our bedroom is on the 2nd floor.  A few years back we bought a generator.  I've never even used it as we haven't lost power since.  It's nice to know it's there if we do.

i go under my mobile home around october to check on the heat tape on my water supply pipe to make sure its on

Whoops. Answer was to DFoster and flytire snuck in there. We had a couple of single wides just blocked off ground at first but doublewide on slab was a much nicer setup and doors and pantries didn't shift around all the place between winter and summer like blocks on the ground did. Our house here on a perimeter foundation shifts around between winter and summer even though we never really get frost to speak of in the ground. 

That's great if you're talking a house with basement and able to do that. We had first a single wide we bought with property, then moved that and put in a slab with a doublewide.  Our water came from a sunken pump down a culvert and then drilled to about 60'. The top 15' or so was a big culvert to go down in and work on lines or pipes and we left a heat lamp on down there all winter. We covered the top of the culvert with wood and carpet and it stayed all except one winter when I plowed the snow too close to the pipe. We had a wishing well over the top and when people asked about our water out there in the sticks I just said we scoop our water from the well and dump it in a cistern under the house.

Our Polar Vortex cold is supposed to move in starting today and tonight and it's a good thing it held off for a day. Last night we got a hell of a rain gusher and if it had been snow we'd have looked a lot like you guys living north of the Mason Dixon Line.

nick

mine is a single wide 14x66 on a cement slab

no crawling in dirt if i have to go under it

Full west side.JPG

On 1/8/2024 at 12:32 PM, vicrider said:

Whoops. Answer was to DFoster and flytire snuck in there. We had a couple of single wides just blocked off ground at first but doublewide on slab was a much nicer setup and doors and pantries didn't shift around all the place between winter and summer like blocks on the ground did. Our house here on a perimeter foundation shifts around between winter and summer even though we never really get frost to speak of in the ground. 

That's great if you're talking a house with basement and able to do that. We had first a single wide we bought with property, then moved that and put in a slab with a doublewide.  Our water came from a sunken pump down a culvert and then drilled to about 60'. The top 15' or so was a big culvert to go down in and work on lines or pipes and we left a heat lamp on down there all winter. We covered the top of the culvert with wood and carpet and it stayed all except one winter when I plowed the snow too close to the pipe. We had a wishing well over the top and when people asked about our water out there in the sticks I just said we scoop our water from the well and dump it in a cistern under the house.

I see your issue now.  Other than mobile homes almost every home here in the Northeast is on a foundation with a basement- why?  See below.  I forget that's not the case for a lot the country. 

It has to do with the “frost line”. In cold climates, the ground will freeze in the winter time down to 6 feet deep, and when it does freeze, you get “frost heave” because icy soil is bigger than wet unfrozen soil. So you have to dig your foundation below the frost line, so you might as well build a basement.