Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Question came up over the weekend

Do most servicemen dislike us civilians thanking them for their service when we see them in uniform?

I was one of those vets who came home in 1971 - when we snuck back into the country and did everything possible to avoid wearing the uniform... The current fashion of thanking young folks for their service is a far cry from that era.  Not a bad thing at all - but it's not what we experienced at all.  I suspect that most of us simply got on with our lives, keeping a low profile.  To this day I don't belong to any veteran's groups although I was an Army brat and grew up all over the world before I went in the service myself in 1968.  My Dad was a career type and did two tours in Vietnam in '65 and '69 before retiring in 1970...

Concur, its was a painful time in American history.  I too experienced the perverted logic (back then) that if you disliked the Vietnam war, you should for some bizarre reason disrespect the veterans returning from serving their country.  We were advised to not wear our uniforms returning to the states so as to avoid conflict, especially in airports.  I find it encouraging that in current times people honor the returning veterans, whether or not they personally support the conflict resulting from the war on terrorism.  My father also was retired military, having served in Korea and Vietnam.  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse . . . A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."  

― John Stuart Mill, Principles of Political Economy, 1848  

Regards,        

I was at Stanford during the Vietnam war and one of my friends and classmate was in my freshman dorm. He was in the Navy ROTC and the Stanford ROTC was firebombed and burned down.

So he had to wear his Navy uniform and travel to the Cal Berkeley Campus, which was a hotbed of Vietnam protests to do his weekly ROTC drills. He got a lot of abuse every week.

His major was engineering and after graduation, he entered the US Navy submarine service. He eventually became Captain of the Ohio, the first Ohio class ballistic missle submarine and the largest ballistic missile submarine the US Navy has ever built.

We exchange Christmas letters and I once asked him what he worried most about as the Captain of the Ohio. He said it was the security of the ballistic missiles on board.

After he "retired" from tours on the Ohio, he taught at the US Naval War College. He taught courses for the captains of attack submarines on how to hunt down enemy missile submarines.

My former son in law served in the marines. I visited my daughter and him in Virginia, he was stationed at Quantico. There are ALOT of armed forces in that area, I never saw a service person in uniform thanked in that area. My Son in law told me they were discouraged from wearing their uniform in public, he only wore his to and from the base. We saw ALOT of uniforms while riding the metro there.

Here in the Portland area, I see service people thanked all the time, they always smile with a thank you.

If a service person is behind me at a coffee establishment, I leave 20$ with the cashier to take care of their order anonymously. Any Coastie I see in a tav or brew pub at the coast, a  round or two are on me. 

December 1, 1969 was the first draft lottery for those born between 1944 and 1950. I remember stressfully listening to the radio.  I didn’t have to listen very long because my birthday came up as #12.  I was in community college at the time and promptly got my draft notice when I graduated even though I kept my deferment by transferring to a state college which was always the plan.  I paid my own way.  So in 72 and just getting a BS in education and a teaching certificate I went to see the navy recruiter to see what chance I had of getting into the reserves.  The recruiter had a billet for a builder in the Seabees.  Other than a song we sang in the eighth grade music class and a John Wayne movie, The Fighting Seabees, I knew nothing of the Seabees.  There was a small caveat and that was that since time in San Diego boot camp, Port Hueneme building school, and Gulfport Mississippi military training with the marines added up to more than 180 days that I would need to sign a waiver that I would accept not being classified as a veteran.  The story goes on but unrelated to the topic.

I always make it very clear that I am not a veteran.  My wife and I were in a country sandwich shop that we frequent this last Veterans Day. The owner asked me if I was Vet and I said no.  My wife smiled and the lady stared at me and I said I’m definitely not a veteran just an x reservist and declined the free lunch.  She said “thanks for your service and you are not paying for your lunch”. 

ps: while we were told not to wear uniforms traveling it was pretty obvious who was military.

I spent almost 12 years in.  I was planning on doing my 20 and then moving on.  After the first Gulf War, the military did a force reduction.  When I tried to reenlist, they just said my MOS was full and they didn't need me.  Reduction In Force (RIF) they called it.  I called it being unfaithful, which flies in the face of the motto.

I'm an Ex-Marine, as they proved that Semper Fi is one way.  So, I just nod and move on when I am thanked for my service.  It feels too much like another of the modern day "woke" policy of not offending anyone.

Mike, I'd love to come across country and fish with you but I could guess your response. I understand you hate everybody with no prejudice in there. Actually, you are a lot like the nephew, also a Marine (my brother reminds me there are no ex-Marines) now inactive who feels being thanked for his service is an insult. He simply nods and moves on (familiar?) and says the large majority of servicemen agree with him. I find that hard to believe. Maybe it is because my blood brother was in Nam and came back on a stretcher and went through several operations to be fairly normal that I feel like I should thank those who fought or typed requisitions or worked in motor pools for us to be free in this country. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:10 PM, vicrider said:

Do most servicemen dislike us civilians thanking them for their service when we see them in uniform?

Absolutely not. I was part of the force reduction as well. I was forced out of active duty into the reserves and then forced out of reserves into the national guard when combat arms units went to the guard and support units went to the USAR. I wanted to stay a 12B. I ended up retiring after 24 years and today I happily collect a small but decent pension. Funny thing was my life has been far better since being forced out into the civilian market while I was still relatively young. 

While I’m at it, the reserves and NG comprise almost 50% of our military. The vast majority of reservists have combat tours under their belts with many doing multiple deployments in both Afghanistan and Iraq and many other places where they are separated from their families. My one fishing partner is a disabled vet injured in Afghanistan. Sadly he can't get in and out of my boat anymore. Another friend was killed in Afghanistan. So this notion of not being a veteran because of reserve status is an old school mentality, so thank you for your service Johnny. 

I’ll thank a vet and graciously accept a thank you at every opportunity. To be rude or act offended over a kind gesture is a glaring character flaw and in no way representative of the vast majority of veterans. 

As always, well said Mr Deck. 

My Son serves, as does my Son-in-law.  My Dad did, my Brothers-in law did, one a career Navy man, the other two tours in Iraq. 

I have never served, so I can't make a judgement on those who may dislike hearing my gratitude for their service, but it is certainly not an attitude I understand. 

I remember the first time a stranger, an elderly man, came up to my son and shook his hand, thanking him for his service.   My son was certainly appreciative.  The memory still brings tears of pride to my eyes.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not rude to those who say the words.  But I truly believe most of them are just saying the words.  They don't even know what they're thanking you for.  You can see it in their faces ... it's a courtesy.  Okay, fine.  I nod and move on.  I've thanked a few veterans, but I stop to talk to them for a few minutes.  Let them know that there is knowledge behind the words. 

Vic, there are three kinds of humans.

Friends/family ... Wife and I like these types.  They've proven they're not ignorant of real life and that they're worth our friendship.

Acquaintances ... These are people who've made themselves known to us and have not betrayed the common sense requirement.  They're worth talking to and to be given the chance to become friends.  This category includes most of the humans on this site.

People ... The majority of the world.  We don't know them.  Many of them prove, daily, that we don't WANT to know them.  They make themselves known to us with their ignorance and worthlessness.  These are the people we hate ... happily and vigorously.  Some of them might become acquaintances, but most of them won't be given the chance.

I'd be happy to spend time on a boat or wading a shallow with you ... and anyone else on here.  We do not have a "guest room" though, so it's a hotel for any visitors.