Fly Tying
john1962

Caught on a fly I tied

Rusty parachute and as a dropper a size 14 bead head pheasent tail nymph. Lake topaz from shore.

20240424_095732.jpg

That’s a beaut, it’s a pretty nice rush knowing you were able to fool one into eating.  Well done 

Well done.  Catching on a fly you tied just adds to it so much.

Good job, beautiful bass - always gratifying when you tie your own flies.   

Silly fish - didn't he know those were trout flies!   🤪 

Regards,

Congrats John on the first - and a nice fish too! I know I've said it before, but that is a sweet looking set-up you got there. 

Question: Are you a right-handed caster?  If so, most RH folks find it more comfortable to reel with the left hand and fight the fish with their dominant hand . . . but I'm not sure if that reel will allow you to convert it.  On the other hand (pun intended!), if you are a left handed caster, all is well.    

Not a big deal, and in fact some people like the old traditional way of casting and reeling with the right hand.    

Regards,

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Congrats John on the first - and a nice fish too! I know I've said it before, but that is a sweet looking set-up you got there. 

Thank you

That is a heddon mk4 8ft. 6/7 weight.

Never been fished till today. My grandfather bought in the sixties. Casts like a dream, the reel is actually a tad heavy for it.

2 hours ago, flyflinger said:

Question: Are you a right-handed caster?  If so, most RH folks find it more comfortable to reel with the left hand and fight the fish with their dominant hand . . . but I'm not sure if that reel will allow you to convert it.  On the other hand (pun intended!), if you are a left handed caster, all is well.    

Not a big deal, and in fact some people like the old traditional way of casting and reeling with the right hand.    

Regards,

I'm a southpaw/ lefthanded, cast left reel right, but I can do both just more accurate with left. The reel is a sixties Japanese knockoff hurricane 440 new never been fished till today, can be used L/R just drag knob will either be in front or in back of reel.

I too am a southpaw, cast left, reel right.  No reason for you to try and switch the real around.  I was able to get lessons many years ago from Lefty Kreh.  If you watch his videos, you will see all his casting was right handed.  He told me a lot of people couldn't learn if he tried to teach right handed people while casting with the left hand.  I had the chance to see him about 5 or 6 different times the last time was in 2016.