Fly Tying
steelerfanhw

What Hook Do You Use for Dry Flies?

Hooks  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Regardless of name brand of hook, dry flies should be tied on the lightest hooks possible to aide the materials in flotation.

I use TMC 100 for sizes 14 thru 18, and for below 18 I use TMC 101 all the way down to size 24. Temico dry fly hooks are the strongest I have used for a light wire hook. I have used Diariki dry fly hooks also, not even close to as strong as Temico Hooks.

Carl

Orvis dry fly hooks (most likely Tiemco with a different name on it). They work great and can be bent back into shape if they ever get bent. I've heard that with mustads you can't do this without the hook breaking. I don't know for sure cause I've never tried it.

Sizes 12 to 20 Mustad 94840

Sizes 22 to 28 Mustad 94842

I like the upturned eye in the smaller sizes.

I use Tiemco 100's generally for standard dries. I rarely tie larger than 12 (except during hex time) or smaller than 18 except during trico time. For these sizes, the 100's are just the ticket.