Fly Tying
oatka

Most unusual tying location

So, recently I saw a picture of a bunch of guys tying in the lobby of a hotel, I think during a salmon run. It got me thinking of the few times I've tied places other than home.

For me I've tied at home, my sisters old apartment, but the most unusual was a picnic bench at around 9:30pm with almost no light during my "big fishing trip." I only hooked into 1 salmon....not much has changed since then <_<

So, what crazy places have all of you tied at?

I saw a picture of D2E tying in the truck with Majestyja on the way to a fishing hole, the picture is in the photo section some where, I'll try to find it later.

Justin

down2earthlv and I went to kolob reservoir in utah today, with two and a half hours of drive time to kill, down2earthlv used his time wisely! the force is strong in this one.

There are 2 pictures on the post but i guess they didn't copy but they are in Photo corner page #2 under "road flies"

Some of the places other than home stream side lodges, hotels, motels , in my truck on the train going to some fishing sites have a tying kit in the truck or when iam traveling nothin wierd about that ????????/

Tight Lines Mike

Good Day,

huh... where haven't I tied? I have tied in people's cars and trucks, in airports, in airplanes, on the beach, at a food court, hotel rooms, subway, bars... and the list goes on...

Steelie

on a train going through norway; in a car parked on the banks of the gallatin; on a card table on a dusty red rose parking lot in roscoe, ny; 2am in a pub somewhere in holland, a bus somewhere near Stoke-on-trent in the UK...various tents but the neatest one was next to a 12th century cloistered nunnery in the middle of italy

and a few other places that i can't mention :bugeyes:

No real strange places but have completed a fly with cats eyes, (small head lamp fits on brim of hat). when the power went out.

Last week it was the break room at work

A few bars, after dicussing a technique that soembody just had to see

There was an employee dorm lobby, but everytime the door opened stuff blew away

Pauly

Not really unusual but a few different places:

Opening Day of trout season a few years ago myself and a few buddies were camping in Bald Eagle State Forest (PA) and I tied a few buggers while sitting on my tailgate.

My first time up to the the salmon river, NY our group hiked about a mile into Douglaston to get lower in the system and I had packed a few fly tying items in my backpack. I was still learning, but red seemed to be the ticket that day. At lunch time I sat on the stone shoreline, ate a sandwich and tied a few simple estaz flies in red. Actually hooked one later on that afternoon on one of the flies I had tied at lunch.

In the passenger seat of my buddys van while on the highway headed to the Au Sable for steelhead.

And then some years ago when we didnt have a place to stay in Baldwin during the salmon run I pulled under a streetlight and parked and then clamped my vise to the sterring wheel and tied by the glow of the streetlight :lol:

Steve

I'm pretty sure I tried the steering wheel idea too. But, as familiar sounding as it is, it must not have worked well for me since i can't quite remember it. I'm guessing because it didn't work, that's why I ended up at the part bench, tying by the street light.