Fly Tying
conehead

Hellgrammite (Bass Candy)

thanks for the pattern. I tied some up yesterday and will try them later today on my local trout pond. small mouth bass are also lurking around in this pond. I feel like a little kid waiting for school recess to start. can't wait to try it. Thanks again.

Got mine in hellgramite swap, looks great I was going to pm you for pattern but you beat me to it. Will try it for trout now and smallies later.

flyweaver.

Man that is awsome , going to walmart right now to get the yarn. will be tying a few today to take to the river Thanks.

That looks great!

I saw the heading, and it reminded me of one of the funniest things I've seen on Public TV. Fred Trost, the host of a Michigan outdoors program went fishing with some guys, back in the mid to late 80s I believe, and he had never fished with real hellgrammites before. He picked it up wrong, it reared back and took a chunk out of his finger, and he began to dance around like a little girl. Hilarious, especially b/c I didn't care for his arrogance.

I have the materials but before I give it a go I'd like to know how you got the segmentation wraps to go straight across father than angle. Or does it just look like they go straight across?

vjc,

Just wanted to let you know that this is a pretty old thread. conehead has not been on since November 2007. Hopefully someone will chime in and can answer your question as I am not familiar with this type of fly. Have a Merry Christmas!

vjc

Wrap the thread forward, then lay the back down and tie in with two or three wraps. Fold the back material back, wrap the thread forward to the next segment, pull the back down and tie in with two or three wraps. Continue until all segments have been tied in.