Fly Tying
sandflyx

campin and fishin ?

Does anyone camp out in their trucks and cars when you go fishin, or do you head to the nearest hotels,motels ? cool.gif and do you rough it or luxury route ??

My preference is to camp...........nothing like sitting around a nice campfire in the evening with cold beverages, good cigar, and bs'n with your buddies after a long day of fishing. At one time or another I have done all of the above though.....

Mike

I mainly camp, stay in our pop up but have slept in the car as well. Just a lot more relaxed sitting around a fire. Can't wait for summer. headbang.gif

I mainly camp on fishing trips more then one day. Even went to the extreme of camping in Jan. last year. I've done the motel thing once but I do prefer to camp when possible. Something about sleeping where you can hear the river knowing you'll be back on it in the morning headbang.gif

Jim

Mostly stay at a motel now that i'm not quite as young as i use to be.....but there was many a times that i slept in the bed of my pick-up and clamped a vise to the steering wheel under the gas station lights at night getting ready for the next day.

SD

Almost always camp...

It usually is getting out on some old logging roads or two-tracks way out and find a nice spot near the stream to camp.

But my favorite is hiking to some remote feeder stream (either to an old favorite or a new exploration), way out in the National Forest, fishing then camping, hiking either up that stream to explore or to another stream, fishing then camping, and continue until I either have to go home or fish up as far as I can.

To the spots I camp near the truck I bring a tent, pots and pans, and cooler of drinks or food.

On the other trips a small tarp, blanket, my fly boxes, tippett, some bottles of water or water purifying tablets, a dry set of clothes and small food items like jerky and trail mix get packed away...this is almost the only time I will keep a trout or two when I fish for dinner over the fire (hardly anyting tastes better)...but only if I have seen a lot of fish in the stream and think two won't hurt too bad.

Sorry for the length, but you hit on my favorite activity...I'm lucky enough to have access to a lot places I can really get away from it all...pretty much as far as I want. Can go on a three day hiking/fishing/camping trip and not see another soul...PERFECT!

Derek

I've done both, sometimes sleeping in my truck isn't an option, rather a necessity depending on the money situation. I really really want to do a little camping trip for some brookies and browns this summer. I know of a beautiful spot to set up camp. Camping is great fun with the right people, and usually i don't spend enough time in a motel to justify its costs.

steve

Can't beat a good campfire, cigars, wine and fishing. I've even packed up my pontoon boat and setup camp along my float. Can't wait for summer to finally get here! thumbsup.gif

Bamboo

Wherever my truck ends up at the end of the day is a fine place to spend the night. smile.gif

user posted image

Like Bamboo, I also enjoy loading the gear on the pontoon and spending the night streamside.

Mike

Never stayed in a motel while on fishing trips. I do have a small travel trailer (16') that I do bring at times. Not fully self contained, just 2 beds, and a stove inside. About it. Will put out a tarp to sit under and build campfires outside too. Also have a big tent in case I just want to trailer my boat (instead of putting a pontoon on top of my blazer), or if I want to take my driftboat which I can't quite put on top lol. Same thing, use LOTS of tarps though. I fish in some pretty rainy areas (the Olympic Rain Forest, some of the most temperate rain areas in the US). So when it rains, it pours. LOL. But like mentioned above, I love sleeping on the river. I have a camp spot on the Hoh I love to camp at. Hear the rush of the water all night. Just soothes me to sleep. Plus, nothing like sitting around a campfire at night, having a drink, eating some dinner, and BS'ing until it's time for bed. Man, I've really missed that this last year since I've been out of commission. Haven't had my monthly OP fix like I normally get.

I also have property (technically my Dad does lol) on the Wynoochee River here in Washington. A very good steelhead/salmon river. So, camp down on that lot alot and fish. Take a yearly fishing vacation with my Dad on the Nooch for a week. Mostly sit around and BS about old times, drink coffee (we rarely drink together, just coffee, don't ask me why), and talk about life in general.

99 times out of 100 I'm camping, whether its in a tent or our pop-up. I've also slep in the back of my truch a time or two. The only times I stayed in Hotel is when we went to Yellowstone and when I did a cast and blast trip with the dogs to Michigans upper peninula. I like the woods.

I've stayed in hotels,lodges,BandB's but most off all I love to camp which I do when I visit cape cod.

Ashley

Well, let me tell y'all what...

I LUV camping out. I LUV fishing. So it stands to reason the two go together like peanut butter and chocolate. BUT...there always seems to be one of these, doesn't there? As I get older I seem to find myself traveling more and more often in the company of older people. (weird, huh?) Especially my wife. And we have discovered this wonderful thing called a condo, where we can cook, have fires in the fireplace, and do many campy things; but where we also have CATV in each room, a hot tub, a washer/dryer, and a relatively safe place to leave all our stuff. The king-sized beds aren't bad, either. So, through no fault of my own and entirely because I am usually out-voted as to the mode of travel and/or accomodations, I find myself camping less frequently now than I would like to. So I just fish more. cool.gif

Good to know that most all camp, Was just wondering... I now camp in the van full time and not in a tent anymore. getting older and wiser... i think... biggrin.gif

post-3-1080005965.jpg