Fly Tying
VERN-O

Which do you prefer

Pedestal vs. C-clamp  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ive tied both ways.

not happy with either.

clamps mar or move on you sometimes.

pedestals obviously can move.

thinking about bolting a pedestal to smaller table that i have. (yeah, i know sounds crazy)

camoham

C-clamp at home. I teach tying to Scouts, and the location is always different, so can't depend on having a table with a lip on it, so I use pedestals in that case.

ive tied both ways.

not happy with either.

Maybe you should embed it in a concrete floor. :hyst:

I'm a pedestal man myself.

I've been using a Renzetti vise with a Dyna King C-clamp and vise extension arm. This setup keeps me from lifting and extending my hands/arms, eliminating all back and neck problems. I've found I can also see all sides of a fly better. I bought the extenion arm from Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies (419-843-2106). The DK C-clamp/cross-support bar is the best clamp I've used.

IPB Image

ive tied both ways.

not happy with either.

he he he..............thanx for the laugh troutbum.

realize i have a cheapy starter kit. unfortuneatly ive been bitten and become ill with this whole tying business.

by next spring a good vise will be in order.

so assume with the heavier pedestals like renzetti, regal, etc. that they have enough heft to not move around a whole bunch? intiatially i was eyeing a peak, now im liking the looks of the renzetti traveler cam.

thanx again for the humor on a friday !

camoham

C-clamp when possible, pedestal when necessary. I travel a lot and find the pedestal handy when tying at hotels, giving classes, or doing demonstrations.

Agree with Kevin, the Dyna-King C-clamp (with outrigger) is rock solid; use it for both my Barracuda and Renzetti Traveler.

Russ

Pedestal on my Barracuda. I've got to get pretty heavy handed, or just clumsy after a few scotches to get it to move. A good heavy base on a pedestal is mandatory.

Jeff

ive tied both ways.

not happy with either.

realize i have a cheapy starter kit. unfortuneatly ive been bitten and become ill with this whole tying business.

so assume with the heavier pedestals like renzetti, regal, etc. that they have enough heft to not move around a whole bunch? intiatially i was eyeing a peak, now im liking the looks of the renzetti traveler cam.

camoham

There are quite a few guys on the forum who have the "Big Foot" pedestal and are very happy with it. It is larger and heavier than the standard pedestal base. I think you can pick one up on ebay for less than $20 shipped. You may want to look into getting one, it'll surely be cheaper than a couple of yards of concrete. :lol:

The Peak is a very nice vise and for the price, a pretty good deal. I am not a Renzetti fan, but there are a lot of guys who use one so that has to tell you something. It took me a long time to find the perfect vise for me, I hope you can find yours a lot sooner.

ive tied both ways.

not happy with either.

clamps mar or move on you sometimes.

pedestals obviously can move.

thinking about bolting a pedestal to smaller table that i have. (yeah, i know sounds crazy)

camoham

I put a peice of foam under my clamp, It stops maring and moving.

I have never tried a pedestal, But I really like my C-clamp

camoham

I also have a cheap vise from a kit, But I don't think I will need another vise for another 10 years, This vise is amazing. I grease it about once evey two months, keeps it in great condition. Me and my Dad (He's a mold maker, So he knows how too use a lot of different machines) worked on my vise and made it true rotary. Doing that made this vise 100x better!