Fly Tying
chrisfish

Wulff Swap

I like the 2x idea, definitely give you more room to learn a new pattern.

I think I will pick some up tonight.

Got to love those kids...LOL :D

Here is something that I learned just yesterday that has helped me tie even a nicer looking hackle, so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

On all of the Royal Wulff tutorials I've seen (except 1), they tell you to build up bulk in front of the hair wing to force it in the upright position. The problem with this is it forms a cone of thread on the hook, sloping toward the eye. Then when you wrap the hackle around the cone, your hackle is not perpendicular to the hook because the angle you're wrapping it on is not perpendicular. If you lay an even thread base down from the front of the wing to just behind the head, it works SO much better.

My picture isn't that great, but maybe it'll give you the idea.

post-9601-1194878767_thumb.jpg

Received a beautifull set of flies from rockworm today. very nicely packaged also btw. I'll post some pics at the end of the swap.

Nicely done rockworm.

As a matter of fact I happen to have 3 of them right here. Rockworm tied up a beautifull set of wulff streamers for our swap. But he also sent me 3 Bumblebee Scraggly flies. Another Lee Wulff pattern he had been telling me about.

If its OK with you rockworm i'll post a picture of them?

chris

Sure thing, Chris. Those three were dashed off as an afterthought and they won't win any prizes. (Which only means they were tyed much in the spirit of the master. Although I use a vise and have no excuse.)

Nice lookin flies! I'm going to get my 12 tied up over the next 2 days and sent out. I've been water testing them lately and am working on reducing any unnecessary bulk.

If you have any ideas on the bouyancy of hairwing drys, feel free to post in my thread here.

Dart

Wulff stated his reason for using chenille and palmered hackle in this fly was to increase bulk and buoyancy. He intended it to represent a chunky generic terrestrial, not a slender mayfly.

I have 6 of mine tied up. I am doing the Black Wulff as described int Bergman's Trout, with the variation of black and dark gray hackle and black calf tail wing. In the book it is labeled as Black Wulff (Bailey) I'm assuming that means as tied by the famous Dan Bailey of Dan Bailey's Fly Shop.

Pattern

Hook: Mustad 94831

Thread: 6/0 black orvis

Tail: moose body hair

Wing: black calf tail instead of moose body hair

Body: pink floss

Hackle: black and dark gray instead of furnace

:wacko:

chisfish

I have been busy and just got some free time to work on choosing my pattern. Like I said I am new to fishing in streams. I just moved down from Alaska and have to change gears.

I noticed the relatively short list of Wulff patterns, so I have been cruising the web looking for possible candidates. I am down to 3, the H&L Variant, The Red Wulff, ad the Wulff Skater. I want to play with them before I pick one but I should have it in a day or so. :D

RDL: Addy sent. looking forward to seening them :headbang:

Student4ever: Sounds great. all three sound like they would fit in well.

sukhoidave: sounds great. your halfway there :D

Dart: Your like a mad scientist out there :lol: Thanks for the tip with the wrapping ahead of the wing. worked like a charm!! I think you'll find that hackle tends to be much easier to dry with a false cast than chanille, or body material. I think that may be the reasoning behind Mr. Wulffs use of double hackle. And also behind the development of the deerhair body on an irresistable. Keep up the good research!

chrisfish

chisfish

I have been busy and just got some free time to work on choosing my pattern. Like I said I am new to fishing in streams. I just moved down from Alaska and have to change gears.

I noticed the relatively short list of Wulff patterns, so I have been cruising the web looking for possible candidates. I am down to 3, the H&L Variant, The Red Wulff, ad the Wulff Skater. I want to play with them before I pick one but I should have it in a day or so. :D

I'd like to see the Red Wulff.