Fly Tying
markbirchfield

Do I need a 2nd vise?

I am currently using a Dynaking Barracuda Jr. Trekker. I tie trout flies primarily in sizes 14 to 24. I recently started to tie some classic salmon flies, classic wets and classic streamers. Santa was very good to me this year and I am thinking about getting the new Renzetti Presentation 2000 to use for trout flies and have the Jr. Trekker for the big classics. The cheaper route would be to buy a set of midge jaws for the Trekker and use the rest of the xmas money for more materials. It would be nice to have the Trekker dedicated to classic salmon flies and be able to leave a fly "in progress" in the vise and use a new vise for my other tying. Any suggestions for helping me decide to get another vise??

I am a self admitted gear junky. Go for the second vise. You have stated some good reasons for it. If it were me, I would be getting another DynaKing, and order it with the midge jaws. I only have 6 vises right now.

I have 3 Dyna-Kings so I'm a kind of gear junky too I guess. I second the idea of buying midge jaws and use the difference in cost of a new vise to buy more supplies .. especially if you're just getting started in classic salmon flies. I don't tie them myself but I understand some of the feathers can be pricey.

Mike

I have a second vice. old Thompson AA always set up. I tie wome warmwater flies that have krystal flash wings, trude style. I tie the fly and put in the other vice. Then when I am ready for the material again I cut it and lay it on the fly I am tying.

Keeps things together better for me.

Crappie

Short answer, no. I've had as many as six vises laying around and found that I really only used one. So what I did was sell all of them and bought a LAW. I have no regrets, I freed up some storage space and I get to tie on the finest tying vise made.

I have the D-K Trekker also and also have the midge jaws for it. That works fine for down to size 14 or so. But for the really small stuff like 18 to 24 I went with an HMH Spartan and bought it with only the midge jaws. It's not rotary but I don't think rotary is that big a deal on the really small flies.

So far, I've been very satisfied with this two vise setup for all size ranges.

Dave

I have two and only two, a Regal and a Nor Vise 99.9% of my tying is on the Nor-Vise.

I say do what makes you happy! Nothing wrong with being a gear junkie. Live it up!

There is true wisdom in the idea that you will do 99% of your tying on just one vise. However . . . .

Being a gear junkie (yes, I know there's a 12-step program for that!) and a guy that ties some flies that are done in steps (switching to another vise while cement dries), I see value in owning more than one vise (I'm told by my firends that I have hundreds if actual vises . . .). Besides, how can you have a friend drop by and tie up a few unless you have a vise for them to use as well?!?!?!?

I have had a presentation 2000 for almost a year no and I love it

it is gonna take a really substantial leap in technology to get me to ever buy a new vise

it's a little spendy but not as bad as a master or a law and it realy works nicely

good luck on the choice

PAuly

I've always been a bit of a gear junkie but I've never really gotten jazzed over vises. Some guys seem to collect them. Right now I've got two - an HMH Spartan and a Renzetti Traveler. About 75% of my tying could be done on either one, but each one covers some ground that the other doesn't so I've kept both. If I had extra money to spend on a really high end vise, I'd rather spend it on a bamboo rod.

I visited Feather-Craft when they were having their Renzetti Traveler sale a few weeks ago. Before that, I had more than one vise; after that I have several more than one vise. It becomes embarrassing when people ask sometimes; its like being an alcoholic in a liquor store, but buying great stuff is surely fun.

Everyone needs more than one tying vise!

Ray