Fly Tying
VERN-O

zoo cougar comments

ok....I avoid spinning deer hair / working with deer hair at all costs.....lets just say deerhair is not my friend.

but, I'm usually up for a tying challenge.....I would appreicate any comments/suggestions on these zoo cougars.

post-5367-1213611958_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1213612014_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1213612065_thumb.jpg

post-5367-1213612173_thumb.jpg

Not too bad, trimming the heads just needs a little practice to get it down. Using double razors makes it real easy to cut a flat bottome then flex to make a nice rounded top cut. For the underwing it looks lie you used deerhair on a few, originally it was tied with a small bunch of white calf tail ;)

Deerhair can be a real bear, but keep at it and it does get easier.

actually it is calf tail underneath (just dyed)

I've watched the kelly galloup video several times....sweet stuff....the only thing I don't have on hand (other than the giant stacker) is the double edge razors.

thanks for the comments keep them coming!!

here is some help with the trimming and stacking. al the rest you know so here we go

first i stack a clump of hair after getting the fine under fur out. then wile taking it out of the stacker face the points back towards the bend this is to forum a collar. like in this pick

IPB Image

next is just stacking hair

i trim the tip off after the collar is formed

IPB Image

next we tie off and start trimming i trim the bottom flat like so

IPB Image

IPB Image

then i will trim at a slight angle almost flat with the hook like so

IPB Image

IPB Image

then i trim the sides in a half moon shape so the head is round

IPB Image

any ways hope this helps sorry there fuzzy forgot the flash good luck and tight lines rhino.................

btw these were trimmed with scissors

I actually tied a bunch of those Friday night.

Looking good there, but you may wanna shorten your collar up a bit. Yours looks to be about 2/3 of the hook shank and 1/3 is the preferred proportion.

And are you using brown calf tail underneath your wing??? HERETIC!!!!

:j_k:

Good stuff man..If my river wasn't like Choclate Milk I'm sure I'dve slayed 'em this weekend on those!

S.

I think those will fish just great. I see where you stated you veiwed his video several times, as long as you get the mallard positioned correctly And you don't tie the collar any longer you'll be fine. When fished properly these look like a injured minnow(sculpin), the thing really gets herky jerky. Don't sweat the deer hair, your doing fine. The way Kelly shows his method of tying makes it fairly easy to tie. Practice, practice, practice. Remember, if you don't like the way the front end looks, cut it off and have another go at it. Don't let the collar and head overtake the fly. I see where the collars/heads are too big! ( on alot of flies tied by different guys)B)

They look good to me... I do perfer a little tighter trim job on the head but there is no reasons those won't work:)

leave the hair loosely packed on the heads it helps them sink a bit like stated earlier trim the bottom flat other then that they look very fishy here is one I tied they are very prouctive http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=35436

great help guys!!!!!......I didn't realize the collars were so large.....I'll work on reducing them a bit

Fishyman:

"And are you using brown calf tail underneath your wing??? HERETIC!!!!"

Actually that one is olive tail, brown calf underwing, bronze wing, and yellow deer hair.....that should send you purists into a meltdown... :hyst: :hyst: :j_k:

rhinorods 69....what size hook is that and how many clumps did you spin after the collar???

rhinorods 69....what size hook is that and how many clumps did you spin after the collar???

size four hook that a 3or 4 xl with 4 clumps of hair mine has a marabou tail so the body extends past the hook bend. try trimming the tips of a large clump of hair so the head gets tighter and denser. no not spun after the collar just flared and packed. try using a gsp type of thread or 2or 4 pound test spider wire and do not forget to support the hook when you pull down on the thread.any ways good luck and tight lines rhino.............

Vern, once you get used to tying with deer hair you will love it. Granted it may take some time but go for it. Chris helm has some good dvd's out about tying with deer hair. I have a set of them and I still refer to them from time to time.

As for the Zoo cougar it's a fantastic streamer. I tie mine form a 6 to a 10 in 4x hooks . :hyst: