Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fred H.

Question for those who fish with glasses

My far vision is very poor. A combination of age and staring at minute objects on a daily basis.

So I must wear Rx glasses to drive and pretty much see anything with clarity beyound a few feet.

I have used polorized cilp on and over shields but was wondering if any had a preference and why?

Any insight would be appreciated .

Thanks , Fred

I use clip-ons, although I have a terrible time finding them to fit my frames. When I do find them, I'll buy 3 pair. Used to use prescription sunglasses, but lost a pair in the stream, so went to clip ons. The overshields that I've tried were too bulky and heavy for my taste.

I have glasses with sunglasses magnetized to them. I have reached an age where I just bit the bullet and put out the $ for them. I'm more apt to drop my rod and reel than my glasses. :hyst:

I use "fitovers" myself Fred http://www.fitovers.com/index.php?page=pro...;prod=navigator I've worn them for fishing for about the past 15 yrs now. I use to use clip on's a long time ago, but the problem with clip ons are they are so easy to lose, they dont block the light from the sides or from your forehead or under your eyes, the polarization (sp) of them isnt as good as fitovers, and they scratch a lot easier than fitovers will. I've got to the point where I feel lost without them on my face when on the river.

Steve

I have to wear tri-focals and have had a lens fall out while fishing and by pure determination and a whole big heaping of good luck, I was able to find it. Ever since that episode I have worn Cocoons and I really like them. I have no fears of ever loosing a lens in the stream again and they are fantastic polarized glasses.

had a lens fall out while fishing and by pure determination and a whole big heaping of good luck, I was able to find it

That's like looking for a brown needle in a haystack my friend :lol: I think you had a double heaping of luck when you actually found a clear lens in the river! I've had one fall out while laying in bed watching TV and took me 5 mins to find it lol

Polarized prescription amber lens.

When I forget these, which is frequently, I have polarized wrap arounds with bifocal stick ons (that work just fine).

I actually prefer the wrap arounds, but they make me look like Cyclops from the X-men, so I usualy opt for the teardrop prescription instead.

Since i have so many eye problems due to glaucoma i have tried many combos. my favorite are a pair of rayban pilot type glasses that wrap farther around my ears and have custom polarized prescription lenses. I still try to get by with them even though i was forced to bi-focals last year. I had a clip on cover that is polarized and took them to the glasses place localy and searched till i found a frame they will fit... I got 2 pairs of those frames in the 2 different prescriptions that make up my bifocals. They are a pain to switch out while tying in flies or whatever and proved to be a waste. i am trying to get just the distance script to order new lenses for my raybans...i can live without colored lens while tying in flies, and keep bifocals in pocket.

The real trick is to get used to the wrap around ear style and then the custom lenses really pay off.

Pluss the clip-ons just seem to scratch eachother up too easily.

I hope this insane description helps you some.

I wear the "transition" lens type of prescriptions. They work very well. I used to use the clip-ons but they can be a hassel at times.

For tying on the tiny flies I keep a pair of 5x magnifying glasses that I got from Orvis handy in my vest pocket....best I have found for this task.

Thanks for all the info guys. It seems from what Ive read that most were not happy with clip ons. I think I will orde a pair of rx and buy a pair of Cocoons and see what works better for me.

Thanks again , Fred

Polarized prescription amber lens.

When I forget these, which is frequently, I have polarized wrap arounds with bifocal stick ons (that work just fine).

I actually prefer the wrap arounds, but they make me look like Cyclops from the X-men, so I usualy opt for the teardrop prescription instead.

Coach Bob, I was wondering what the bifocal stickons are? I just had to get my first "progressive" lens (i pick them up tonight) for my normal glasses. I asked what it would cost just for new lenses for my current RX polarized glasses and due to the trifocal nature of the progressive lens the lenses alone were going to be $360. I have a hard time justifying that expense right now after spending $500 on the normal glasses.

Im near sited and my distance script seems ok, but with the onset of 40 in May I have to keep taking them off or extending my arms to read, tie flys or tippet. I can live with taking them off and on but a bifocal sticker?, stick on would certainly be the ticket and save me some scratch.

I got mine at a fly shop.

But you can go to www.drillspot.com and put "stick on Magnifying lens" in the search window.

You can find the same at amazon.com but it'll cost you 50% more.

The key to using these is to have CLEAN glasses and put them exactly where you want them. They are removable, but I clean my glasses (just not like King Kong) all the time and they stay on.

I have tried the clip ons kept losing them (but I still buy a new pair every year)

Last time I was at a fly show they had a company that made glasses (Rx) for fishing .

I'm realy thinking of getting a pair.