Fly Tying
moder

What did you first start tying for?

The fish  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My first tie was from a elcheepo flytying kit by labador outdoors. the fly is really ment as a allaround fly but seems to like perch the best.

post-23117-1258372575_thumb.jpg

post-23117-1258372645_thumb.jpg

Snook, redfish and speckled trout. Started with deceivers, clousers and surf candies.

I have never tied for any-thing but trout...Well, maybe for some fishermen and some laughs.

bluegills sunfish and unfortunaly turtels :wallbash: yea its sad then i started into bass then walleye :yahoo:

For me the journey was a little different. I fishied with a fly rod for years, mostly for trout in the pacific northwests lakes. Then a friend of the family, who was also a fly fisherman, gave me a kit that was less than standard. The kit was his "leftovers". I tried to tye a few flies and realized that it was not easy and would take some practice. It sat in my closet for close to 5 years. I pulled it out last winter and started again, and here I am. I first started to tie for myself. ThanI quickly relized you have to tie for the fish and not myself. Trout was the fish Iwas chasing. I recently had a very large wodden flybox made and stuffed it with a few hundred flies, and gave it to the man who gave me the kit. The man who I have known for my entire life began to cry....one of my greatest fly fishing memories.

I got into flyfishing because I wanted to catch bluegill on the surface.

My first flies were tied for the exact same reason.

About the only stuff I tie is sized to "split the difference" between

panfish and bass. It's a hoot.

I started tying for trout. I started tying SJ worms and SS leaches to save money. Saving money has went by the wayside and now it is about the pure satifaction of catching fish on something I tie. It is so cool to spend a few hours tying up a set of flies and going out the next day and catching fish.

Definitely bluegill, still my main tie. We have a few ponds around here that the state stocks eith trout, but I have never fished for trout. Too much fun to fish for largemouth and bluegill, plus the occasional other specie that will bite on the fly.

I started tying trout flys because I taught myself and all the books I had were for trout flys. I actually used them for panfish and didn't fish for trout for years.

I had wanted to tie for trout, that was when I first decided to think about it, but just never got around to it. Then life happened and I thought it would be fun to tie just to tie, and then I read a book called "50 Places to Fly Fish Before You Die", and that set things in motion. I got involved with a fly fishing club and watched them tie, and they tied for everything. Now I tie for bluegill, bass and throw in a few swaps, so that means I tie for all kinds now.

Blane