Fly Tying
JarrodRuggles

WHAT DO YOU USE THE MOST?

What fly do you use the most?  

790 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I started tying my own flies, I have so many flies and variations thereof, that I really never know what fly I'm going to tie on until I get to the stream. If they're not rising, I go under the surface, if they're not hitting the nymphs, I go to dries, stimulators, or sometimes streamers. If I don't choose any of those, I choose a nice comfortable tree to go and take a nap under. (The answer to my "Which fly?" question usually comes to me in my dreams in the form of a beautiful mysterious woman :D )

A.S.

Usually start of using a tandem rig. Small beaded nymph at point and a dry fly as an indicator (my own tied flies). From there try to work out whats happening.

Cheers

I echo the comments of others. The vote favors certain flies. Wet flies need a vote.

I fish wet flies first and nymphs or streamers second when fishing for trout. The dry fly is last unless I walk into a stream with an active hatch on. The wet either classic or soft hackle mimics so many life stages. I like a Picket Pin: it can be fished actively as an emerging mayfly, caddis or stonefliy, a crawfish, dace or sculpin. You can dead drift it to be a fallen fly post hatch allowing it to slip between surface and sub-surface. This same technique is too with so many wets.

My grandfather fly fished at the turn of the century on the Beaverkill and Willowemoc in NY. He would say that someone who fished drys first were rich tourists or beginners letting the fish control the event. He said that a fly fisherman progressed from the easy dries to nymphs, wets and streamers as their understanding of the trout grew. His passion was night fishing with size 2,4 and 6 wets. He would go out at 10PM and come in at dawn. His wet flies were huge.

I grew up fishing those rivers. Right before he died his influence convinced me that the only trout rod I needed was a 7 wt 9 foot with a wet fly/streamer action. The night fly fishers pal for really large brown trout. I still fish this big fiberglass antique. It's 40 years old.

My favorite patterns are the Catskill, Picket Pin, partridge and orange and the Muddler Minnow.

Now that I live in the south, for bass and gar, I love a mouse pattern. For white bass and striped bass, an alewife pattern streamer and for bream, wet flies of course.

Caddisflies (how fitting) :D I use all stages of the caddisflies most productive is my pupas. I usually fish the pupa 6-9 inches behind a caddis dryfly.

G'day. Wets I favour Olive Scuds (sometimes beadheads)

Dry's I like Paraloop Brown emergers, Klinkhammers & Bi visibles but I'm influenced by what hatches are occuring.

In Lakes I use Elk Hair Caddis, Mrs Simpsons & Woolybuggers.

I don't restrict myself to these particular flies & carry heaps of other patterns when I go away fishing but, these are my favoutites.

Warren.

The Adams, Partridge & Orange, Muddler Minnow, and American Pheasant Tail were my go-to dry, wet, streamer, and nymph patterns before I began to tie. Now I use only my own variations on these classic dries, wets, streamers, and nymphs.

:)

Dries for trout wets for Atlantic salmon...........Frank

What I find so great about this poll is that if you ask a beginner fly fisherman 99% of them use store bought flies, Unless they have connections to tied flies form a friend. I for one have used store bought flies until I was able to tie. Now I only try to use my patterns, ( I haven't tried to tie Bass patterns yet) there are some Trout patterns I haven't started to tie yet ( Wulffs, royal coachmans, and patterns that I don't have the materials for.) Great poll!

i started tying before i started fishing. lately, ive been rocking the wooly bugger and been doing pretty good with it, that and nymphs... im not so good with the dries yet

I try to be a dry purist. My most commonly used dry flies are Blue Winged Olive, Adams, Light Cahill, Pale Morning Dun, Red Quill, March Brown, Elk Wing Caddis, St Vrain Caddis (light and dark), Black Quill Midge, Olive Quill Midge, Cream Quill Midge, Dun Quill Midge, Henry's Fork Biot Green Drake, Callibaetis, Tricos, Foam Black Ant, Foam Red Ant, Foam Black Beetle, Sid's Hopper, Dave's Hopper (I consider terrestrials as a subtype of dry fly). But I have been known to fish streamers, nymphs and bass/perch poppers depending on the situation/location.

My favorite not really sure why still new to all this, but a elk hair caddis with a pheasant tail nymph dropper, but I have caught more fish on a wooly bugger.

I think the list of choices could be expanded. If I am fishing for bass I use a WB or perhaps a WB with foam body or foam back so that it floats. For trout it is definitely an emerger. I am useless with nymphs, so emergers are used whenever there are fish evident. Otherwise it is a wet fly, but emergers predominate - and they are not on your list of choices.