Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Graham Owen's Website

I didn't know how many have seen Graham's site, but it is well worth the visit. You will be awed by the flies and photography. Take a look, and enjoy:

Graham Owen Gallery

I've got to say the photography is awesome and i wish i could take pics like that have you ever looked at Catch Magazine its amazing has all sorts of fly fishing photography and video along with it. I listed the website below

:yahoo:

www.catchmagazine.net

Yes isn't he great!! He used to be a member here and left, not sure why?

How he makes his wings for flies is amazing and many others use this model for wings!

I hope some day to make wings like that :bugeyes:

thanks Graham!!

I have been tying on and off for over 50 years and thought of myself as a pretty good tyer, but looking at Graham's series of photographs of an actual Hex going after one of his imitations was humbling to say the least. The wings and bodys he builds are inspiring.

A few years ago when he was in town we tied together and I got to check out some of his flies in person. I was amazed at how well they looked. The thing that amazes me now is that from what I see online they are even better! He's done well creating a unique business for himself and seems to be pretty successful.

The initial reason Graham became less active was the fact that some of the people he works with or advisors told him he shouldn't give away his tying methods since he was trying to develop a business based on them, which when you think about it, is exactly true. Most of us do this for fun; Graham is doing it for a living.

I e-mailed Graham yesterday. He is flying to Germany shortly to work with an artist there. They have a large project in the works. His part of the deal I believe is tying 1,000 butterflies. He thought it would keep him busy until next summer.

On his website, Graham says his talent may be hereditary, and I suspect he is right. His family has been involved in the arts and theater apparently for three or four generations. When you are extremely familiar with certain lifestyles, talents, and professions, I believe an artistic bent is much easier to acquire.

And, I remember when he was posting regularly photography was one of his great interests. Last night I was looking at his photographs again; most of them, whether fish, birds, insects, or realistic flies, are totally unbelievable in detail. If you look at the birds on the wing, you can see practically all feather details. I thought the whole site was amazing!!!

Ray

I remember a post by Graham, or someone who had talked to him) here a while back, saying he had been approached by a Hollywood type who needed a realistic house fly to put in an ice cube for a scene in a movie.

Now THAT's an unusual way to make a living!

Yup I have see it before and yet it still amazes me that someone can tie something that looks so amaziningly real. Of course Fred H is pretty darn good at that stuff too.

The initial reason Graham became less active was the fact that some of the people he works with or advisors told him he shouldn't give away his tying methods since he was trying to develop a business based on them, which when you think about it, is exactly true. Most of us do this for fun; Graham is doing it for a living.

Harold the funny thing about that is- Graham had never tied a realistic fly until he became a member of this site here and meet some of the members here that were into realistic fly tying. He learned much of how it's done from this site and then applied his own twist to it which is perfectly fine. If his "advisors" told him to not share his methods with anyone then that's fine (even though he learned most them here) but that doesn't mean that he couldn't still participate and keep up friendships he had made here. Also there is a bit more to the story than just what your hearing about the reason why, but that is not my business to discuss that here.

I've meet as well as fished with him a few years ago in NY. Seemed like a nice enough guy, but I also noticed that "head space" was at a minimum when he was in a room, and that's all I will say about that.