Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Are you seasonal on species?

I was thinking about this recently, thought I'd bring it up here. How seasonal, if at all, are you when it comes to what species you fish for? I realized that in the early spring I am all about the crappies and mountain trout. Then as the weather warms up a little more I go hard for largemouths. As it warms a little more, the stream smallies start heating up, and before you know it, it's carp time. I'll usually sprinkle in some mountain trout along the way, too, but I really play favorites depending on the time of year. B)

I'm more warm water when there is not any ice on and when the ice is too thick to lay a fly line into for some bass, carp, gar, or gills and crappie, then and only then do I go for the trout... and then I only go at night so it's kinda strange really. I think I may need help.

Steve

The rule book kind of dictates my fishing season, early spring = steelhead and maybe panfish, but if i have a choice its steelhead. Bass season is not open here until last weekend in June, but when that happens i like to focus on bass as the steel has kinda finished, at the same time trout is still on and quite good in the rivers. Just before Bass, Pike opens so that can be fun too - warmwater before Bass is usually panfish and try chasing gar and the such. When fall comes its back to steel and salmon, then winter is travel or tying.

I fish for whatever can stretch my string. I have no real season. I fish for bass from Ice out to ice in. In the early spring and fall i'll sprinkle in trout, sometimes the water gets to hot for the trout (like last year). So it depends on what happening but i'll go for anything.

seasons are easy for me there is steelhead season that runs throughout the spring winter and fall summer is bass and panfish sprinkle in Pike in the spring and trout in the spring and summer then throw in ice fishing in the winter that equals 100+ days of fishing a year

Early spring I hit panfish, then I gradually start adding bass. Once summer is in full swing and the rivers are low, I go full-force for drum, carp, cats, and gar. Then in the fall, I go back to panfish.

I fish different species throughout the year. I would rather catch reds than anything else, but in the winter they are very inactive and hard to feed. I switch to fishing for seatrout in the colder months. In the fall, usually around october or november, the flounder start moving toward the inlets to head offshore for the winter. I like to target these guys then as well.

For me here in Florida, the techniques change with the season but not the targets. Snook, trout, redfish, etc all year round.

Seasons definitly dictate what im fishing for and what im fishing for dictates the style. The first couple months of the year (as long as the streams arnt frozen over) is all about winter steelhead. When the streams are frozen over this is when i really hit the fly tying bench to replenish alot of boxes for the year and try out some new patterns. Once the streams really open up i start hitting early season trout streams that are dedicated catch and release artificial lure only. Come early april i hit the open water trout streams. But at that time i can get torn away from the trout streams and drawn to the lake very easily. Between the crappie and walleye spawns. At this time of year i can find it hard to stay dedicated to stream trout fishing when the bite is hot and heavy in the lakes. come late may early june the crappie and walleye spawns are normally slowing down or are over all together so i pick my fly rod back up and either hit the trout streams again or if im looking for an awsome fight on the fly rod i head back to the lake and tie into some carp that are bunched up on the surface. Now that is a fun fight. Come late june early july its starting to get pretty warm and i might hit up some bass in some local ponds with some top water poppers or streamers on the fly rod and by august im normally back in the AC tying flies again. Early september the steelhead start to run again and by late september early october im makeing a trip up to erie at least 2-3 times a week to tie into some chromers and that pretty much rounds out my year with the exception of some fall walleyes.

Trout from about Thanksgiving until its too warm (April, generally), then bass and panfish until September. From thn until late November they are all targeted.

Panfish,white bass, and spoonbill in the spring, summer i chase bass, panfish, catfish, and carp. In the fall bass, panfish, catfish, and in the winter i chase trout. and the best time for catfish is right after ice off in late winter,very early spring on shad, and minnow patterns. overall you have to be seasonal on some species to be effective all year when fishing.

I'm more warm water when there is not any ice on and when the ice is too thick to lay a fly line into for some bass, carp, gar, or gills and crappie, then and only then do I go for the trout... and then I only go at night so it's kinda strange really. I think I may need help.

Steve

hahaha why just out at night? just curious. And for me its almost all warm water. I have a series of spots all over the place, and I frequent them in series. January is ice fishing as the bite is hot in my area that month, mostly crappie, hopes of walleye, pike, usually do this until a few weeks before the ice safety warnings get posted. Than after ice out there is not much in season actually biting (turn-over is tough) so I just don't fish. As soon as may swings in its walleye, i try for them on the fly but in some deep holes I have that go over 13 feet I jig from shore, me and a buddy are getting really good at smashing Ottawa area walleye. than after that in early June I have a spot that produces massive slab crappie (monsters i tell ya!) with black ghosts and a split shot 6 inches up. after a few trips to that spot the weeds get high and i start fishing close to home, its mainly bluegill, bass. Than july-august is night fishing for walleye both on fly and spin, this goes until its really cold.

Druce