Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

A gar will drift up to a fish or other critter until it is beside their mouth. In one move, they open their mouth, swing over the critter and clamp down, and let go. If it's small enough, they don't let go. If it's larger, they'll hit it like that several times, each time injuring the prey a little more.

The tip of the nose has, what seems to me, a sensitive mass of flesh. I've watched gar nose up to little flies and barely snap down on it with just the end of the lower jaw and that tip. Those are the ones I usually catch.

With bigger hooks, it's possible to have the hook slip between the ...I guess it's the jawbone and the tongue? There's a slight gap just inside each side of the lower jaw, and a hook slipping into that gap will hook the gar.

The lower jaw is also two bones (just like ours) and a big, sharp hook drove home with a hard strip can set in the tissue between the lower jaw bones. Of course the best way to catch gar is without a hook. Untwisted poly rope. They tangle their jaws up when they snap it like mike described. I have had gar roll on a fly, and it wrap around the snout, hook it on the leader, and tighten down like a noose on the gar, and caught it that way. Just a freak incident haha.

Islander is located in SWFl...

I don't know much about gar, but apparently they are from up north (considering I'm in Miami). Keep in mind that we have a LOT of exotic species down here in South Florida, some invasive and some introduced (like peacock bass). Redtail catfish, arowana, jaguar cichlids, etc have all been caught down here.

Florida is awesome...

Flats, lots of species of gar occur in south Florida naturally. But spotted dont. And the water would be too warm for them.

What sort of temp's is the water down in FL? I know people whom keep spotted gar in huge aquariums where they keep the water temp at 80f because of the other fish species in with the gar they keep and the gar do fine in that 80f water. Your guys water temps reach over that quite often? I ask just because I have never really paid attention to what the water temps down that way actually reach too.

Central Florida:

Only reading then gauge on a boat is misleading. And that gauge is sitting within a few inches of the surface. On a good, sunny day, surface temps can reach 100 F.

I use a regular "stream" thermometer on a cord.

A foot below the surface, and the water temps have dropped 15 degrees. Down at the bottom, in anything deeper than 6 feet, and the temps can be 20 to 30 degrees cooler than the surface. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your species preferences), the water doesn't cool off as quickly as it warms up. So, surface temps and wind tend to drive up the temperature of any shallow pond or lake (which most are ... shallow). I've caught 5 pound bass in 90 degree water on a regular basis. Too hot for Northern species that can't handle the heat!

Temps are more moderate in the Winter, of course, and we've even had ice in some places for a hour or two, on those hellish days that get that cold. Too cold for those tropical species that inhabit Southern Florida.

Who needs a Jacuzzi when you can go to the beach during summer? Oh, and the bikinis are out in full force... ;)))

Got me! I was going by this picture that popped up during a search labeled as a spotted gar. This is what the fish looks like. Guessing Florida gar? Gonna have to grab the regulations booklet next trip to Walmart.

post-52832-0-55510100-1524600171_thumb.jpg

Anyways, there's no debate that these are black bass and a tilapia. Nothing big, but fun on a 2.

post-52832-0-48493200-1524600223_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-18647100-1524600270_thumb.jpgpost-52832-0-01385700-1524600284_thumb.jpg

The wife and baby went to the beach. The boys are at grandpa's, and I'm "on call" for work. So I had a "play" day around town.

post-59266-0-43552300-1525573340_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-71962700-1525573368_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-32264100-1525573390_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-89241100-1525573410_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-33362100-1525573432_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-88149000-1525573449_thumb.jpg

Red ears and Mayans are always fun!