Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

I don't know how much the American guys hear about the farmed fish (Salmon mostly) and their environmental impact? Here in Scotland it seems that every sea access loch has an ever expanding cage farm in it. Recent gene testing of fish has shown in some waters 1 in 3 fish have a genetic strain from farmed fish. The lice numbers and pollution of the loch beds beneath cages is a big problem. We should all eat wild where we can until farmed fish are reared in shore based water tanks.

I keep and eat plenty of wild fish yet I also release a ton if its legal to keep the fish you caught I don't see anything wrong with it hell the wild ones taste better then the store bought ones anyway plus if those people that fish with me have a problem with me keeping a 14 inch brook trout to cook over my camp fire its only because they didn't keep one for me to cook for them to

YUP. and how healthy is the great lakes trout fishery Riffle? Pretty darn healthy, Out west its a different story, maybe with a few exceptions. But in general the state of most fisheries out west suffer greatly by the catch and kill mentality.

Everyone's gotta eat once in a while. Nothing wrong with selective harvest.

So how many large mouth bass do you keep and eat on a trip?

Since the wife doesn't like bass, but loves sunfish, I usually only keep one bass out of every three trips or so. I catch and keep enough sunfish to do a fish fry every third week or so, and there's usually one pair of bass fillets in the batch.

There's plenty of documented research to prove that total catch and release fisheries don't produce trophy fish. Overpopulation will deplete the food base and nothing can reach it's full size. This is why most places have gone to slot limits, rather than total catch and release policies. I definitely agree with carefully handling and returning to fight again, the majority of fish caught. But if we weren't meant to eat one once in a while, they shouldn't taste so damn good !!!

That's why its every 3rd week. Also note Mikes svelte figure and maybe we should all be on a sunfish diet. tongue.png

I think the problem with western fisheries is more related to wholesale habitat destruction and alteration than harvest.

I usually keep sunfish that look like this ... it takes 3 or 4 fish per person to get ya full.

nice little brown on the worm tonight. gotta love it when winter ends.

post-48159-0-30411800-1365647866_thumb.jpg

No, they are both bluegill. The top one is a sub species called a coppernose, the one in the net is a standard bluegill.