Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Foamation

Home made tying tools

Hello everyone!! I have been making my own tools for years to make my life a little easier. I was wondering if anyone else has done this. The tool I made in the photo is just one of many I have com up with. This is a foam shaping tool. I use it by inserting a small cylinder of foam inside all the way down the the end. Then I sand the angle down. I use these bodies for hopper bodies and other terrestrials. I would like to see what everyone has come up with. Thankspost-37615-0-46600200-1326476872_thumb.jpg

Very nice. What diameter is the tubing?

Thanks the diameter is 1/4. But I have built about 12 different sizes and angles as well.

post-4211-0-01765000-1326671521_thumb.jpg

The lower item is a bodkin, just a needle and a buffalo tooth. the upper is a "Fuzzer-Upper", to fuzz up the dubbed bodies of small flies, kinda the same as velcro-on-a-stick. The handle is another buffalo tooth, the other part is a dentist's "Endo" tool. Ask and I'll bet he'll give you a couple. It's the largest size. Similar to a small drill bit, but with ridges like a file. Does real good job of roughing up fine dubbed bodies.

No buffalo were harmed in the making of these tools. I bought the teeth at an Indian Pow Wow.

Here's another one, handcrafted in my extensive woodshop. A piece of Birch limb cut to about 3" long, holes drilled about half-way down in one end. Sprayed the whole thing with clear poly-something and put felt on the bottom. Have one for bobbins, and one for frequently used tools. No Birch trees were harmed in the making of these items - used limbs laying on the ground.

post-4211-0-30616400-1326672839_thumb.jpg

I have made them up to one inch at the largest all the way down to 1/4.

Um, how do you go about throwing a 1" diameter hopper on a fly rod . . . ?

I have made them up to one inch at the largest all the way down to 1/4.

Um, how do you go about throwing a 1" diameter hopper on a fly rod . . . ?

You move into that water that tastes funny...Saltwater. LOL! and make poppers for about anything that swims....Its a great idea!!! I used to make one out of copper pipe and make popper bodies out of found Lobstah pot buoys....great for feeding the blues and ya save a TON of money!

I made a great tool from one of my wife's makeup tools. It has a small soft brush, with a hard plastic comb on the same end opposite of each other. On the other end (handle end) i put a piece of velcro. The comb/ soft brush are perfect for combing under hair out of deer hair etc... The velcro for a dubbing brush. It's a great multi-use tool. I also have a small sewing needle that has a small (maybe 1/2" - 3/4") loop of 10lb braided line tied on the end. It's perfect for use as a bobbin, and for sewing rubber legs into foam and deer hair bass bugs. I have a large foam circle that i put my flies on to dry, etc. It's a perfect spot to put my needle/ sewing tool. I have a large chopstick type thing glued into the middle of the foam circle to make picking it up and rotating it easier. I'll try to get some pics up sometime to show my homemade tools to you guys/ gals

Wing burners from the 3/4" x 6" rectangles of brass sheet they sell in hobby shops. You can use a real mayfly wing from your local stream. Trace it on the brass with a marker them grind out the wing burner shape with a Dremel.