Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MTFlyJunkie

Tippet Rings?

Has anyone ever used them and what do you think about them??

I use them on the tip of my furled leaders. The rings make it much easier to replace the tippet when it gets too short.

Has anyone ever used them and what do you think about them??

I use them on the tip of my furled leaders. The rings make it much easier to replace the tippet when it gets too short.

rockworm do the rings seem to sink the end of the leader at all, or are they so small/light it won't affect the floating of the leader ? I usually use shorb loops in my furled leaders so haven't tried the rings at all yet but always wondered how they worked.

Steve

I have the same concerns and questions I really want to try them I'm just not brave enough to try me without getting some feedback

Leader rings are popular here in the UK. I use them if I'm wet fly fishing and use them in a mono leader with one or two used dependent on the number of droppers I'm fishing. They certainly cut down on the tangles I used to have with dropper flies.

I have used them when dry fly fishing (very small sizes of the Loop or Rio rings) normally 2-3 feet back from the fly and it digs the leader into the water a bit so as long as the fly is buoyant enough they help reduce leader flash. I can't be bothered to de grease the last bit of leader or carry extra products around with me. I just use a bit of gink on the fly if needed.

I've even been known to use a very small barrel swivel when ripping streamers or big lures. Cuts out all leader twist and seems to cut wind knots in the casting although I admit a bit more practice with the rod would do me better.

As far as I can tell the rings do not affect the floatability of the leader. I furl my leaders from Uni thread and treat the floaters with Mucillin, Payette Paste or Paste Floor Wax to keep them afloat. (I'm still looking for the perfect floatant.) The rings come in several sizes, but are all so small they barely make a dimple on the water's surface. I haven't observed any noteable hinging effect at the ring junction either.

I use them all the time. The small size from from JStockard has not affected floatability in any way for me. I haven't used furled leaders though.

I just started using them on regular tapered leaders. So far I would rate the experience highly positive. The draw back is you really need to set up your leaders at home with the rings. They are next to impossible to handle alone in the field. I have take a few leader and cut back about 15 to 18 inches, depending on the leader length and tied on a tippet ring and put it back in the package. When I change out the leader I just tie fresh tippet on the ring. I really like the visual reference to change my tippet. Once my tippet gets to be less than about 15 inches or so I change the tippet. I find myself changing tippet more often after a couple or three large fish and I have fewer break offs. Not that leaders are that expensive, I see that I might be able to get a lot longer time with one leader.

get a safety pin, and put several tippet rings on it, then pin it to the inside of your vest or pack. on the off-chance you need to tie one on in the field, tie it on while attached to the safety pin. makes it MUCH easier. do it that way at home too.

I use the trick with the safety pin too. Wish I'd thought of it from the start. I used to use my forceps to grip the ring and tie on but the pin was so much easier.

I use the safety pin, but the rings I have are so small the gauge of the safety pin is OK to get the rings on but not small enough to get even 6X tippet by. May have to look for a smaller safety pin.

get a safety pin, and put several tippet rings on it, then pin it to the inside of your vest or pack. on the off-chance you need to tie one on in the field, tie it on while attached to the safety pin. makes it MUCH easier. do it that way at home too.

Brilliant! I would have never thought of that, but I've never used tippet rings.

Maybe this year I'll give them a try.

I've always used the oval ones cause I'm sure I was told once it creates less pressure on the knot than a knot tied to a fully round ring. Same applies to swivels. The very small swivels for hook lengths are often oval not round. I can't see it makes much difference myself but I know that when I purchased some cheap round rings they were pulled into an oval shape when playing a fish.