Fly Tying
flygirl

PayPal security

I usually don't use Paypal if I can avoid it....the 1st time this year , I just used it to buy a couple of fly boxes from Hatches , & I bought a couple of videos of 'Where the Yellowstone Goes ' from their website. & would'nt you know it, I get a call from my credit card co. saying that someone is attempting to charge $6000 to my Paypal acct. Payment was denied, but credit card acct. closed , new card issued , no more Paypal ...like I said, don't use it anyways.......call me old fashioned , but I still prefer to write a check..

flygirl-

I had a similar experience with PayPal about 3 0r 4 years ago. Made me totally PO'd. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Absolutely refuse to use PayPal for anything. Use Am Ex now, as they are very good about pursuing fraudulent charges or returns on defective merchandise.

Bill

I've used paypal for probably 10 years or longer and I'd say well over 1000 times for purchases and payments both to and from me. Never had a single issue with it. There is a lot of security on paypal and it's no different than doing any other banking online. Checks are too slow, have to hold till they clear, and just recently I had a check get lost in the mail when I wrote a check to my supplier last month and it still have not shown up anywhere. Not to mention having to pay a $30 to stop a check when it gets lost. Nothing is 100% safe, but paypal is about as safe as you can get.

Although I can't speak for myself, I can be proxy for Wife, who agrees with Steve. She's been a PayPal user for about as long as Steve with no problems that I know of.

But I am going to let her know that some people have had issues.

Thanks for the warning.

I am also with Steve on this I use Paypal for both purchasing as well as selling, and have never had a single issue.

I've also used Paypal for several years with no problems. Flygirl, is it possible your computer has been compromised and someone got your Paypal account information that way? I had it happen a few years ago with a bank account, but we caught it right away & the bank froze the account. All it takes is to open the wrong email & it installs a program that sends password & other sensitive information back to whomever sent the email. Then they get into your accounts, such as Paypal. You don't even know it's happened until it's too late.

I use it all the time, in fact I prefer it to entering my card info on each site. Never had a problem with false charges. Have had that with credit cards and have had it happen to family from info taken from checks. I do notice that there are sometimes fraudulent links that pretend to take one to paypal but redirect you to a site that looks like it to steal your info. Usually you can see the web address is different either in the address bar or when you hover over the link before opening it. Beyond watching for those, I don't hesitate to use paypal.

with paypal, online banking + bill payment, i havent wrote a check in years and rarely use a credit card

Like most people, I've never had a problem with Paypal. If you're worried about security, set up a dedicated account that nobody can trace to your household accounts. That's just common sense. I have self-imposed limits on all my accounts that'll trigger a call from my bank. Even American Express will call if they spot a purchase that's out of the ordinary. As far as risk goes, every time you use a credit card or write a check, there's always the chance that somebody's gonna steal the information. Fraud schemes were around long before anybody ever heard of electronic banking. There are plenty of ways to protect yourself.

I have noticed people at work who have had problems with fraud have a PayPal account and are facebook users. Maybe its coincidence. I pay through PayPal as a one off transaction but never sign up for an account. At least your company called you and it was sorted before your money went missing.