Fly Tying
brianbailey1000

Where can I find square rubber legs?

I have came across them a couple times in the skirts of large spin or buzz baits or what ever you call them. Most are round but some of them have square rubber. Walmart has a decent selection and some is just around a buck apiece. Take Care, Tony

since the chaos hopper comes out of the blue ribbon fly shop in west yellowstome, that would be my 1st place to call

GOOGLE then for a number

I talked to Blue Ribbon a few weeks ago and they don't have square legs anymore. I did come across a blog the other day mentioning taking square rubber legs from a Koosh Ball, which of course I can't seem to find either.

http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com/2012/08/nice-legs-at-target.html

I think I'll just use some doubled up medium round legs for the knot.

Hi Brian,

The Living Rubber Company has/had square rubber legs. In 2008, they offered free samples here. They are in Merlin, Oregon, and their catalog that they sent me along with some samples states that they have been selling quality skirting for over 30 years. I did do a Google search before grabbing the catalog they had sent, but the link has that the site may harm your computer, so that's as far as I went with that. The business card they sent was from Paul Bokman in sales. Their Phone number is (541) 471-1248. All three samples that they sent me were square legs, even though they were from three different categories and colors.

Regards,

Mark

I think I'll just use some doubled up medium round legs for the knot.

the fish will never know the difference

I just checked the waist band of my underwear ... and these Fruit-of-the-Loom have square white rubber strips. I think Hanes uses round ones, though.

Jann's Netcraft has them. Also, pretty much most of the silicone "Spinnerbait Skirts" you can find are flat sheets which are cut into many strands, causing them to be square in cross-section. I have an entire drawer full of them. I can not imagine how or why it would make any difference if the strands are square or round or oval or triangular or octagonal or whatever.

If you are courageous enough to get the strands from Mikechell's underwear please be sure to post an after-action report here.

Mark, a few years back I bought a whole bunch of silicone fine-cut and regular skirt material from Living Rubber to use in flies. It's good stuff. They were not set up at the time to take credit card orders in a secure manner, and I gave them my numbers over the phone. Unfortunately, and I sincerely hope, coincidentally, shortly after that I was the victim of fraud on that card.

Yeah I agree round or square probably makes very little difference to the fish but it just looks a little sturdier that's why I asked. Waitin for my local shop to get some medium rubber legs in.