Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

just messing around with squirrel, really needs that 'around wrap' before lashing to hook, head looks like disaster oops!

I'm using a tiny drop of head cement in those butt ends, it really helps to tie that squirrel fur. -Remember, only a _tiny_ drop..

ahh, i shall try this too! Before the around wrap or just as you are lashing to hook? Hard to create a small neat head with the stuff that is for sure. Or i just need work.

ahh, i shall try this too! Before the around wrap or just as you are lashing to hook? Hard to create a small neat head with the stuff that is for sure. Or i just need work.

Before I put the squirrel hair onto hook, I hold it in my fingers and add a tinytiny drop of head cement. Tiny 'cause the cement has a tendency to spread _very_ easily from the butts.

Also make sure you wax your thread before each hair bunch. Not just once at start of fly. The wax with a textured thread like shear or benecchi, really grips them slippy hairs. (other threads may be available)

Ich bin ein berliner? That fly makes me think of hefe weiss

Any beer would do this time of the day :D

Well folks I can honestly say that this monthly "From the Vise" section just keeps getting better and better. Only suggestion I have is, if the pattern is an original or a variant of a well known fly, why not put it in the data base with a recipe? Famous flies we can look up the recipe to, your original or your variation we can't and that fly might just be the one we need for a situation on our waters. Once again....GREAT tying folks!

Murray

I must have hit post before the OFF fly picture loaded, and I can't seem to edit the post. Below is the OFF pattern. All parts of this pattern come from the waste end of a saddle hackle after the tips have been used for other patterns.

post-12074-0-65938000-1360210606_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-94957800-1360210619_thumb.jpg

Ich bin ein Berliner (I am a jammy doughnut). Sorry I don't get the connection?

;)

Cheers,

C.

Hahaha Crackaig, i have no idea really!

Umm i keep tying these little speys, nice size 5's decided i needed another pair for the box to throw at salmon when the time comes.

P2072110_zps4d58fe9f.jpg

*edit* Just tried my first 'as specified' size 5 - fudged the BM wings a bit as i have not handled that stuff for a few weeks, probably needs a second set ontop, no hydro on the head yet either.

P2072109_zps9f6df558.jpg

I better go back to the bench before the sun goes down.