Fly Tying
riffleriversteelheadslayer

Febuary 2013 flies from the vice

I have a couple to add to the mix. Not quite the quality you guys have been posted but they swim!

Articulating Damsel

SAM_0904_zpsfcf7a606.jpg

And a Musky fly. (After tying the "small" one I had to tie a giant 14" fly lol)

SAM_0910_zps512176fd.jpg

and Jam.. its your fault that I just spent a small fortune so I can try my hand at some spey flies! and I can pretty much guarantee mine wont look ANYTHING like yours lol.

Chefben4,,

Maybe because you tied them yourself, you see something I don't. Because I see nothing wrong with the quality. I think they look darn good from where I'm sitting.

Might I ask the brand of eyes that are on the Musky fly. I like them. They finish that fly off well. Some of these new eyes that are out now are so nice. Really give flies a killer look.

Chefben4,, Maybe because you tied them yourself, you see something I don't. Because I see nothing wrong with the quality. I think they look darn good from where I'm sitting. Might I ask the brand of eyes that are on the Musky fly. I like them. They finish that fly off well. Some of these new eyes that are out now are so nice. Really give flies a killer look.

Thanks silk! Im a harsh critic of myself lol. I use Deer Creek Gator Eyez on my flies including that one. I was definitely happy on how the eyes finished this fly off. I dont use the "blue" eyes to often so I was happy to see how they turned out!

**Edit** Here is a close up of the eyes.

SAM_0907_zps01e9add4.jpg

hahaha Chefben they look awesome! The old harsh self critic disease, happened to me when producing music, you would work on a song for so long by the time it was finished you hated it and thought it sucked when in reality it was very good. I find even staring at my own materials too long is evil, caus everybody now seems to have way better materials, or perhaps they are just better at using them hahaha.

Hmm staring at all this snow falling put my mind towards huge runoffs and the need to get deep really fast in quick water, mobility wasn't even a thought, minimal dressings were, so decided i needed a few minimal dress irons to get down without the need of lead. This will sink.

P2082102_zpsba4f2f03.jpg

Beautiful fly Jam,

The weather here has been very stormy for most of the morning, perfect time to tie some flies and play around with taking photographs:

post-45233-0-67605600-1360354801_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-09247400-1360354818_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-06166500-1360354841_thumb.jpg

nice hairwings BassMouth! So right, i am actually stuck indoors, i am not too sure i want to be outside in this weather or on the road at all. Gotta put on my washer woman hat and get to cleaning the house, oh the excitement.

Well make sure you keep the fluff out the tumble dryer, great dubbing, any hair in the hoover brush, wood ashes (assuming you have stove) can make cased caddis bodies. You'll not be bored Jam.

Got a new vice today :D (Excuse the mess) My first rotary vice. It hold 2/0 hooks fine, and I've had smaller ones in there too.

IMG264_zpsbfa10445.jpg

And I broke it in tying up a bunch of Diawl Bach variants.

DiawlBachVariant_zps1fc378da.jpg

I am new here and have to say that there are some awesome flies here and really good tiers. Here is a T&A Rainbow I just got tied up.

attachicon.gifT&A Bunker 009.JPG

Red Beard, love the pattern. I actually just received a bunch of wool from my fiance's aunt, and I wanted to find some patterns to experiment with. Have you had a lot of luck with that pattern for trout? Do you fish is mainly in rivers/streams or lakes?

Thanks, and again, great-looking fly!