Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

What fly tyer would you like to see interviewed?

Uncle Ken :-)

Add Hank Patterson on the list too tongue.png

Just watched a few of his videos. I think he is going way overboard with it, it get's to the point were it's not even funny. It's a ballance to get it just right. smile.png

Yeah, Ken is way better humorvise.

i would love to see Kirk interviewed for about 3 hrs, some fly tying, some fishing stories, some comedy - or actually a Peter J interview would be rocking, laden with comedy!

They should interview the whole salt community on this forum! *grin*

i would love to see Kirk interviewed for about 3 hrs, some fly tying, some fishing stories, some comedy - or actually a Peter J interview would be rocking, laden with comedy!

They should interview the whole salt community on this forum! *grin*

Yes! Do a group interview of the regulars in the Salty Sub Forum!! It would be awesome!!

Jeez, I'm not sure the world is ready to experience a group appearance of the FTF "salts." I suspect it would be something like the old Monty Python skit where the whole cast was sitting around trying to one-up each other about how poor they were when they were kids. Besides, it would give the authorities the chance they've been waiting for to serve a bunch of warrants for "abominable and detestable crimes against nature. "

Anyway, back on topic. A couple of tyers I always enjoyed talking with are unfortunately, not with us any more. Jack Gartside and Warren Duncan. Both men combined extraordinary tying skill with treasure troves of fascinating stories. I really miss those guys. Among current tyers, I think Davie McPhail is a master tyer and very interesting guy, even if I can't understand what he's saying half the time. Of course, Lefty Kreh is still very much The Man. I've never seen anything written about Lefty or written by Lefty that really showcases his outrageous sense of humor. That, I'd pay to see.

I can't understand Davie either. I usually watch him with the sound turned off, then back up and listen if I feel the need. I read Lefty's book on casting and get a tickle out of him. All of his pictures showing him casting, he has his tongue out. It looks like he has a fat upper lip.

I think Al Beatty and Kirk Dietrich are good choices. I also think that Paul, or Riffleriversteelheadslayer would be interesting to hear from. All three are well know and well respected on this forum. I have only seen masterpieces on video from Al and Kirk but I have some of Riff's flies framed and he is a great fly tyer. All the other suggestions are great too, but theres a couple that I am not familiar with. I don't have any problems understanding Davie and love to hear him say to "just take your time". I'll bet he says that he can't understand a lot of us on this side of the pond also..... Somebody needs to kick me in the rear... I almost forgot ...DryFlyPurist. He is amazing and it would be a treat to see a bit more about him

You will not have heard of him, but Alan Roe could provide you with an interesting interview. As a practical tier, and superb all round angler it would be great. Sort of a Brit Uncle Ken. If you like I'll put you in touch.

Cheers,

C.