Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Is this the Ultimate Vise?

When I first looked at the vise I thought that it looked like a bird sculptured in steel with a fly in the jaws of the vise. It looked to my eye like a bird that had just captured an insect. It was a misinterpretation on my part. I wandered onto Borger's website and found that it was a seal. Cool.

Be that as it may, I was wondering if Faruk could tap me out some jaws for my Thompson Model A. I'd be willing to pay more than half the price I payed for my vise.Let's call that $7 bucks.

...but then again I really don't need new jaws. Carry on!

Beauty and value are in the eye of the beholder I guess. For me, I would take an EP vise over this, would probably take a Regal Revolution over it as well, especially if i got to keep the difference in cost :)

I'm the guy who made his own LAW vises and I only did it as a challange to see if I could.

I'll just say this, I can tie any fly there is including a full dress atlantic salmon fly using a pair of vise grips. There are those that do it using no vise. In there fingers. Lord only knows how. I won't even attempt it. I have met alot of fly fishermen who where more than happy to show off there expensive gear to me. I only laugh at them and reply "I love guys like you" , they ask why, I reply "because I love out fishing people like you on my little cheap fly outfits". The moral is "better to out perform than to show off" or "I'de rather kick ass on a crappy vise than suck on a expensive one"!! P.s. That vise is beautiful. No dought about it. It really is a work of art. It will make someone very proud. It just won't be me. LOL

post-19822-0-36066700-1368557214_thumb.jpg

Hey... whenever I need a big-gulp of humility I check out one of my young neighbors up in Fort Collins Co.. What kills me is that I prolly have socks that are older than he has been wrapping flies. He's right here on FTF's The Streamer and Classic Wet Fly site. Notice that there is no vise, no bobbin...http://www.classicflytying.com/index.php?s=013c72338f9480ac8bae94cba06e7dba&showtopic=48897

He has more vids there and his presentation is top of the line. Check him out.

I'm a fan!

If we didn't have people willing to pay for pretty artful things would we have pretty artful things? Would the Ferrari go the way of the dinosaur?

I think the Damascus steel is beautiful, but personally I don't like the design of the vise.

Ditto. If I had $2500 to blow, I would spend it on actually fishing -- say a week in a nice lodge in Montana--rather than shiny objects, but that's just me.

'anytime the word "Ultimate" is used in a thread title, curious banter is sure to follow... typically cruizin' for a bruizin'...

I've been mulling this over for a while and lying low in the tall grass while folks philosophize... 'curious and informative as always!

since I have some first hand knowledge and knowing that my words will hardly sway the stated opinions of those who have gone before... Here goes nothin'...

imho:

The DamaSeal is similar in application and functionality to the brilliant "Law" vise... a sought after CLASSIC... While similarities are present, among other things Faruk artfully incorporated an adjustment which allows for quick and simple true rotary hook shaft alignment and a well thought out, ergonomic, intuitive, somewhat hidden in plain sight to the casual observer "rotation" capability [NO "handle" needed]...
It's a wonderful kinetic work of art and an amazing tool for life... I LOVE THIS THING !!!
F70A1693_zps4f4861a9.jpg
F70A1684_zps70b74a13.jpg
F70A1686_zpsbabf2b28.jpg
Faruk is a wise man and a good friend...
Besides being an insightful and accomplished tyer and fly fisherman, he's a design engineer, machinist, perfectionist, and artisan...
'Form always follows function... his thoughts and moves are well planned out and happen for a good reason...
A many faceted Renaissance Man, his attention to detail is astounding...!
Faruk chased his idea around for a long time and finally hand crafted two [which he has to this day... well polished by time and use]...
after being approached at shows and encouraged by his lustful friends, he completed a short run of 4 which quickly found their way to collectors...
his latest run brought the grande total to 15 or 17 [in the world] and I am truly blessed to request and enjoy lucky #13...
NO regrets...!!!
'on a side note...
'just like Faruk's precision thread application tool [ultimate Bobbin], #13 just gets better and better as familiarity develops...
together, they are a tour d' force and as good as it gets... 'heirloom tools for life...
I've heard it mentioned that Damascus jaws are "distracting" to tye on... while tying, the visual Damascus grain is very subtle unless "reflective lighting" brings it out... my photos capitalize on this premise... it's my goal to capture the vise and the phlyz and ultimately bring out the best of both... similar to photographs of a beautiful woman and jewelry... 'Mutually complimentary!
IMHO: unless you have an advanced case of A.D.D. and are off your meds, this vise is distracting like a Stradivarius...
It becomes an extension of my fingers and, unlike a "problem" vise that's ALWAYS there with some annoying issue, #13 disappears while I play on it... [and reappears in fine form when my camera comes out]...
It would seem that the "grain" present in the hardened jaws contributes to hook grasping and the subtle but effective curved grooves on the face of the anterior jaw face allow for tenacious hook holding with a minimal amount of compression...
The LAW employs the same hook holding tactic... Both artists chose that design, as opposed to internal spring pressure, to be able to better regulate force required to hold a hook without damage or regret... similar in design... effective beyond any question of a doubt... Simply BRILLIANT...!!!
The same goes for several other Damascus jaws that I am lucky enough to get the chance to enjoy on a regular basis...
But, maybe that's just me...
'Distracting... 'HARDLY...
F70A1604_zps76a7bb3d.jpg
F70A1613_zps1f16bd26.jpg
F70A1616_zps8f7da9a5.jpg
F70A1567_zps630fd0d6.jpg
F70A1640_zpsc4692565.jpg
Once upon a time, a Military Transport pilot asked a beautiful princess, "Will you
marry me?"

The princess said, "No!" And the pilot lived happily ever after and
flew jets all over the world and drove hot cars and banged skinny
long-legged big-titted flight attendants and hunted and fished and went
to topless bars and dated women half his age and drank whiskey,
martinis and Captain Morgan and never heard bitching and never paid
child support or alimony and kept his house and guns and ate cold spam
and potato chips and beans and blew enormous farts and never got
cheated on while he was at work and all his friends and family thought
he was frickin cool as hell and he had tons of money in the bank and
even left the toilet seat up...
and collected some world class kinetic sculptures that just
happen to hold hooks very well...

The end

To quote an old pal... "What's in it for ME...?!"

'inthemeantime...

They'll be ontheway at about the same time pigs phly and/or Yo-Yo Ma sends me his cello... wink.png

That is a cool looking vise no doubt. As for how much one spends on a vise if it is worth it depends on how you look at it, especially as an investment. How many people a few years ago were saying about the Law vise "beautiful vise but even if i had the money I can't fathom spending $900 on a vise. I would rather spend 200 on a Renzetti (or whatever) and the rest on materials". Well since Mr Waldron has quit making them, their value is now soaring with the few for sale going for near 2,000 on ebay. In other words, had you spent the 900 just a couple of years ago, you could now sell the Law and have enough for the Renzetti (or whatever) and probably one of each from the material list at Stockards (maybe an exaggeration but you see what I mean). I doubt this vise gets the cult following of Law but you never know.

Haha i am going to be shot, but that vice is ugly, the metal has ugly lines in it and it is just whack. Seems pointless, whats next little diamonds and jewels hanging off it? Making money off vices and value is equally whack, i do not consider that a very smart buy. Get some stocks and play it smart, the vice doesn't pay any dividends.

My renzetti traveller is waaaay better looking.

I did like the story about the princess tho!

/me runs!!!