Fly Tying
SilverCreek

Is this the Ultimate Vise?

I can buy a LOT of slightly less than "ultimate" vices for 2500 bucks. I doubt the flies tied on one of these looks any better than the flies tied on a 80 dollar blue light special vice.

Mike, I'm not singling you out but your post is rather an example of several in this thread. It is a concept I've never been able to understand. I would love to have that vise on my desk. It is a work of art and worth every dollar it would cost based on the quality of work, amount of knowledge acquired prior to construction, and the time investment.

I respect Hans if he would feel it isn't the best vice for him to tie on, but to say a vice like that isn't going to make a person try harder to tie to the quality a vise like that deserves is wrong. There are so many arguments about this type of comparison on so many levels it shows your thinking and others is quite prevalent out there. I see this type of thought on motorcycle boards, i.e. Harley versus Honda. I see it on boat boards, i.e. Ranger versus Nitro. I see it on fly fishing boards, i.e. Leonard versus Montague. Do I feel I catch more fish on my Leonard or my Orvis than I do on some of the blue collar rods I use? No, but I love the quality and feel of the high quality bamboo rods I own versus some of the cheap ones I've acquired in the past.

So yes, if you think paying extra for quality and beauty is a questionable investment, fine. For those who can afford things like that, and can APPRECIATE what they have, I say go for it. I happen to like my Hardy Uniqua or Peerless or Speyco reel for all the things it is, even tho they do not do a thing better than a Japanese Medalist available for 1/10 the price. I make my choices, yours may differ, and I'm okay with that.

Seems pointless, whats next little diamonds and jewels hanging off it?

Jam, now we're talking, add some small fuzzy dice while we're at it. We could even do a TV show "Pimp my Vise"

Get some stocks and play it smart, the vice doesn't pay any dividends.

After seeing what the market has done over the past decade, the Law may be a safer investment laugh.png

vicrider hit it on the head. We all have different tastes and priorities. There was a thread on another forum that went 10+ pages, and the discussion was over the $50 Abel nippers! It seems whenever there is a post on a pricey item it brings out the people who say it is not worth the money and they start pointing out all of the alternatives that cost much less. It can be the $50 nippers, the Ekich bobbin, or this vise (or the LAW or JVice). I think this vise is pretty cool looking, and to those who buy one, more power to them. It's how much the vise is worth to the buyer that matters.

Bwahahaha agn! Yes i do believe we could make this show, could visit all these cashed up fly tiers and talk about their vices all day, maybe pimp up some 'made in india' vices and tools by drawing lines on them to make it look like that steel. Sweeeet! We could chrome it out and add some rims to that star knob thing.

Agn, yeah some stuff took a beating!! Holy cow i did not fare so well but other stuff went crazy and made up for it.

Anyway to me the vice looks like a turd on a shaft, needs more spilt glue and chips out of it so it shows that it is actually used and not polished all day with microfiber cloth. Then it needs mini dice, a hot tub....

I appreciate even more those classic fly tiers who don't even use a vice.

It's been a while...

Here is latest collaboration between Faruk Ekich [designer/engineer/craftsman] and Mike Norris [Master Knife Maker and creator of the Damascus]...

A form and function kinetic work of art...

F70A3467_zpszfccbqti.jpg

F70A3465_zpsbb0kdjd9.jpg

F70A3466_zpsgxftg5b5.jpg

F70A3470_zpsqiep96fi.jpg

F70A3460_zpswnodt9av.jpg

I think the vise is interesting. Just that alone would lead me to purchasing one, if I had the funds.

I have read a lot of responses here about how it's not worth the money. May not be worth it to some, but others yes. I would rather spend more and have a tool I can enjoy than have one that just does the job for the time being.

I have a vise that several on this forum have that can be purchased for less then $100. I also have a vise from that same company that cost a bit more. The less expensive one does just fine, not a complaint. But the more expensive one I enjoy more because of the higher quality you can feel in it.

This may or not be the Ultimate Vise. But for the quality, the rarity, and how different it appears it will cost more. If it's not for you that's fine, but for others it's just the ticket.

Very pretty, but is it functional? How well does it hold a hook? Those should be the most important issues with any vise, regardless of price or appearance.

Thanks, Bob H

Very pretty, but is it functional? How well does it hold a hook? Those should be the most important issues with any vise, regardless of price or appearance.

Thanks, Bob H

Functional...? Absolutely...!

Besides being appealing to the eye, the DamaSeal design incorporates the best of the Law Vise [hook access and grooves which mechanically hold the hook FAST with minimal pressure] and the Jvise [comfortable ergo dynamic design that accommodates the left hand as well as variable pitch or angle for "true rotary" operation]...

While there is a convenient rear cylinder for rotation, pinching the narrow rounded back end of the jaw shaft with the left thumb and middle fingers allows for easy rotation... a very natural and intuitive operation...

The Damascus is sourced from Mike Nichols in the USA... the beauty of his work is obvious to the most casual observer...

The stylized jaws are precisely machined and shaped by Faruk... Hand finished with fine files and polished to perfection...

Obviously NOT for everyone, there are those among us who appreciate and enjoy uncompromising craftsmanship...

Life is too short to tie on a butt ugly vise... [not to mention using crappy tools]...

F70A3446_zpspe0ojb6f.jpg

F70A3452_zpsuqnzw3e0.jpg

Thanks, Bob H

Besides being appealing to the eye, the DamaSeal design ... (1)

... pinching the narrow rounded back end of the jaw shaft with the left thumb and middle fingers allows for easy rotation... a very natural and intuitive operation... (2)

The Damascus is sourced from Mike Nichols in the USA... the beauty of his work is obvious to the most casual observer... (1)

Life is too short to tie on a butt ugly vise... [not to mention using crappy tools]... (3)

(1) While I do like damascus steel ... I do not agree that it is good in all situation. I might like the curves of the vise jaws, if they were "obscured" by the lines of the damascus. I might like the lines of the damascus, if it didn't conflict with the lines of the jaws. This is one of those applications were the benefits of damascus steel could be achieved without acid etching the lines and hiding them.

(2) The curvature of the vise shaft puts it outside the center of rotation, b a good inch or more, from the looks of it. So, if you "pinch the narrow rounded back end of the jaw shaft" the rotation will require you to move your hand in a 2 inch or greater circle while rotating the shaft ... a very NON-intuitive movement.

(3) In my experience ... life is too short to waste money on unnecessary frills and decoration. Like plastic surgery ... a "pretty" vise is for show, not for performance. If it works, it's NOT "butt-ugly" ... it's effective. "Pretty" just isn't worth the extra money, when I can use that money to go fishing instead.

Mike if you think plastic surgery is all for show you are sadly mistaken. Regarding the vise Pete Gray probably has more vise experience than most of us put together. I would purchase a vise with his endorsement.

Personally I think Pete Grey's version is far better looking I don't really care for the Damascus they used in the op post fire a vise. I personally probably wouldn't sieve the money for Damascus on a vise I own ever just not worth it to me. I enjoy nice tools because of the way they work, it's why I don't own any Damascus knives or knives in leather sheaths it has no functional value. My view on vises is basically the same that being said Pete's vise in any good steel would would be a beautiful tool to work with. Also I imagine that cost is not a big issue for him and he can both own the vise he wants and take a nice fishing trip if he so desires.

"(2) The curvature of the vise shaft puts it outside the center of rotation, b a good inch or more, from the looks of it. So, if you "pinch the narrow rounded back end of the jaw shaft" the rotation will require you to move your hand in a 2 inch or greater circle while rotating the shaft ... a very NON-intuitive movement."

Mike... et al...

Looks' can be deceiving...

Here's how it works... simple and effective...

The fuselage is on a stem pivot allowing the angle of attach to be adjusted [as is the Law and the Jvise with a stem knuckle]... I use this function all the time... maybe 20* nose up trim...

The jaws are attached to the fuselage at another pivot point...

Put a large hook in the jaws... Extend the jaws outward / downward for true rotary result...

Put a small hook in the jaws... Close the jaws inward / upward for true rotary result...

With your left hand, you can rotate the jaws by turning the rear cylinder housing OR by simple pinching the inner jaw shaft with the thumb and fingers to perform the true rotary function... very well thought out and, with an ounce of practice, VERY intuitive and comfortable...

Trust me... It's BRILLIANT !

My Law does NOT accomplish that feat... nor do I miss it... imho: "true rotary" is over rated and I find it NO big deal UNLESS I'm spinning on my NorVise... they are all so good in so many other ways...

My Jvise allows for "true rotary" by sliding the jaws up or down on the retaining shaft...

das DamaSeal is handcrafted from a Damascus ingot by an perfectionist who uses new and old world techniques to create a special kinetic work of art that can be passed on down with pride to future generation or donated to a proper and fitting destination...

Instead of spending money on expensive wall art or statues, I prefer to spend it on tools that allows me to better enjoy the total process... for me, the feel and function is worth the price of admission... a good tool disappears in your hand while a bad tool constantly reminds you that it's there...

re: #1... I emphasized the Damascus with tactically deployed "light" to catch the grain... on the bench everything is absolutely simpatico and 100% non distracting [for me]... [see photo below]

re: #3... Good for you... waste not want not...

Personally, I spent a too many hazardous years "working" in the desert under less than desirable conditions and earned enough for me to be able to appreciate what I appreciate... NO worries... sort'a like going for a long ride... Yugo or Mercedes... they both get you there [maybe]... which would you chooozzze...?!

To each their own...

Cheeeerz

ps

a less "distracting" shot with just soft reflected light up from the side... more what I see while tying until I rotate and catch a pleasant highlighted reflection... if that's a problem, I'll have another, Sir... thank you...! wink.png

F70A3472_zpsjlf2ziur.jpg

F70A2007_zps7a069c71.jpg

P4260784_zpspi7tnki7.jpg

DSCN1023_zpspgjjxvwq.jpg

scan0013.jpg[/uYemenDaze-1.jpg

IMG_0097_zpsjdmpkgas.jpg