Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Deer hair fanatics, beware

Shaving razors can bite you if you're not careful.

P8220439_zps3da06eb7.jpg

About halfway through trimming and shaving this bug, I accidentally ran my ring finger across the corner of the double edged Wilkinson Sword razor blade. That's bandage #2, I was bleeding pretty good for several minutes.

Ya know, I've always been aware that you put everything you've got into your bugs, but you might have gone just a tad overboard this time. If it's a red marker you need, I'll be happy to send you one. I'd hate to see a fellow member become anemic from coloring deer hair.

nice fly man, what kind of marker did you use for the throat of that fly? haha

Matt

I always use a heavy scissors to cut those double-edge blades in half horizontally so I have one dull edge to hold onto while trimming. Before I started doing that, I was putting literal blood into every fly along with the figurative sweat and tears. :)

And cover the broken side with making tape.

I always use a heavy scissors to cut those double-edge blades in half horizontally so I have one dull edge to hold onto while trimming. Before I started doing that, I was putting literal blood into every fly along with the figurative sweat and tears. smile.png

Those razors are scare me lol. Im not good with sharp objects generally so im very cautious. Last injury was in my deli slicer cutting cucumbers for pickles. Off went the tip of my finger. Oops.

It wasn't the back edge of the blade that got me, it was the front. It was just the way I moved my left hand trying to change my grip on the bug and ran my finger across the front corner of the darn blade.

It wasn't the back edge of the blade that got me, it was the front. It was just the way I moved my left hand trying to change my grip on the bug and ran my finger across the front corner of the darn blade.

Wow, though the pic looks great! Just hope for some vampire-like fish that really loves blood, and you'll be set....piranha???

TC

Adding scent to the fly is against IGFA regulations lol :P

Ouchies.

ya them things is sharp.

I fold them in half to break into two long blades. Haven't bothered with masking tape.

Couple of points.

1. One of your first thoughts was to grab a camera and document the carnage. Nice... Can't say I'd do differently.

2. Honestly suprised to see you didn't just superglue it back together. Stuff is wicked for closing wounds, leaves less of a scar than sutures...

I'm with JSzymczyk. I had too many close calls. And by close I mean they just didn't bleed as bad.

Sorry to see you had the accident. Better luck next time. We can't add anything to the "great advise" other have offered so proceed with caution. Take care & ...

Honestly suprised to see you didn't just superglue it back together. Stuff is wicked for closing wounds, leaves less of a scar than sutures...

I've become a fan of superglue for closing wounds -- much faster than bandages and you're not left with a giant cotton/plastic club on the end of your finger to get in the way when you resume tying. My mother-in-law, a nurse for many years, stands by the stuff, too. I once dropped a kitchen knife that landed point-down in my big toe -- she had me back together in under a minute with a steri-strip and a layer of superglue. As Paul Simon would say, these are the days of miracle and wonder...