Fly Tying
Simplejack

Hungarian partridge substitute?

What would be a good Hungarian partridge substitute?

Many flies I have seen that I eventually wanted to tie seem to use partridge, but I don't want to spend $30+ bucks on a skin. Is there a good alternative that can be used? I don't know how important it is to use partridge, but I'm hoping there is something else out there that is cheaper.

Hoping to spend less then $15 bucks for a skin. Hook sizes range from 8 to 16

I use allot of India Hen Neck/Backs these usually runs around $5-6 and Brahma Hens run around $10-15

Mike

Hen Backs (3 to 10 bucks depending on where you get them) are a good source because you can get so many color variations without a big investment.

However, you probably won’t ever find one that gives you the barring that Hungarian Partridge provides. That barring provide a sought after effect – probably more important to fisherman than fish.

The problem with Hen Backs and Coq de Leon hen capes and Brahma capes or skins is that you get so few small hackles for the size 16 – even less if you decide to tie smaller.

There are a couple of cures for this. You Tube has videos on a couple of methods and that expensive but worth it book “The Fly Tier’s Benchside Reference” shows a couple. For quick reference take a look at these videos both good techniques.

(this guys talks for quite awhile before he demonstrates the technique but does a good job once he gets to it.

No talking in this one and the music is not offensive.

You don't have to buy a whole skin.If price is the only issue, you can get a bag of loose feathers for just a few bucks that will make lots of flies cheaply. Yes, there is some waste and unuseable stuff in there but it is worth the money. I have tried some alternatives like hen pheasant and brahma but I think you should use partridge when called for. You may get something else that is somewhat similar but nothing looks like partridge in my book.

The $15 partridge skin is an investment you will never regret. It should last you years and provide material for many hundreds of flies. Just remember the monetary sacrifice and treasure your feathers accordingly. IMO the bags of loose feathers are not a good deal in the long run. If you own a skin you will know where to look to find the feather you need: there are feathers different in size and colouration on the neck, back, shoulders, breast and rump. And then there are the wings with the covert feathers for tying the smaller soft-hackle flies, and the primaries and secondaries (which can be matched left with right) for making wet fly wings.

Get a #3 full neck. It will out last 30 bucks worth of loose feathers. There are plenty of feathers on any neck, and the grade isn't all that important. The linked store has #3 skins for $15.00

There have been plenty of subs listed, but one that I have used on occasion is HEN pheasant. Not easy to get unless you hunt your own. Hunting your own upland game birds will yield a very nice supply of tying material.

Bite the bullet and buy the partridge skin.

Like Flytier I use a lot of grouse, ruffed and sharptail. I also use snipe for smaller soft hackles. Any game bird has similar breast feathers.

One can find skins in the buy it now section of ebay for $15 and free shipping almost all the time. Blane

They are all selling for $25+ and even the auction are being sold for $25+ I been looking at them for the past few weeks.

Get a #3 full neck. It will out last 30 bucks worth of loose feathers. There are plenty of feathers on any neck, and the grade isn't all that important. The linked store has #3 skins for $15.00

There have been plenty of subs listed, but one that I have used on occasion is HEN pheasant. Not easy to get unless you hunt your own. Hunting your own upland game birds will yield a very nice supply of tying material.

Thanks for the link. I will probably just buy one of those. Not sure what the difference would be on the grade of the partridge skins. Feather size or skin size or? I might have to just send them a email about it. Also, when I add to cart, it doesn't give a grade selection, so I will ask about that to.

I will also probably try to get one of those India Hen Back Feathers skins just for the hell of it, but wont tie any serious flies until I bite the bullet and get the partridge.

Is there any flies that specifically need the hen back feathers, or are these just feathers for whatever you wanna do with it? Probably a stupid question, but I'm still learning the types of materials used for tying.