Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
b_steele86

whip finish vs half hitch

Hey all. I am new to tying just got a cheap cabelas starter package to see if I would like it. Anyways I am having a blast but am wondering if people on here have any thoughts on using a whip finish vs a half hitch to finish the fly. My package came with a cheap standard whip finish tool (the type that doesnt swivel) and have not been able to figure it out. I have just been putting about 4 half hitches with some head cement to finish.

Thanks!

Brian

You and I have the opposite problem with a whip finisher. I had problems with mine until I cemented the swivel so that it didn't swivel.

Applying several half hitches will definitely work with a bit of head cement. When I was using that method the last half hitch tended

to come undone.

You will find here those who advocate learning to whip finish by hand, those who advocate using a finisher, and those who use the

half hitch.

If you decide to learn the whip finisher, I recommend that you take a large otherwise bare hook and practice doing just the whip

finish until you get the hang of it.

I use a 1/2 hitch for each step of the fly I am tying, that way it will not come when undone when you do the next step.I use the the whip finisher when finishing the head of the fly.. When I am doing deer hair flies I use a series of 1/2 hitches to finish the head because you can't get the whip finisher near the head.

Ha! I also have the opposite problem. I started with the Thompson whip finish tool and I hate using any other. Learn to whip one way or the other. They all work. Sure you can get by on half hitches, by there is a reason for the popularity of the whip finish.

I use the "swivel" whip finish tools, and I do many whip finishes by hand. There are times when I use a half hitch as well. One other finish knot that I use is Gary Borger's "Double Hitch," you can follow the link to learn about it. I find it a very handy knot.

For smaller flies I find a midge whip finisher that rotates very helpful. I also bought a half-hitch took kit which helps me put the half hitch exactly where I want. The finisher and the took kit were inexpensive.

Randy

Nothing wrong with a half hitch especially with head cement. When I tie parachute patterns I sometimes tie off around the post and use a drop of superglue to secure the thread without any knot. Have yet to have one come undone.

I wonder how many tiers that have mastered the whip finish by tool or hand actually choose to half hitch. To me, there are 2 main benefits of the whip finish. First, it frankly just looks better. I know fish don't care, but I do. Second, and more importantly, it is a more secure knot. Each turn places another turn of thread over the tag. Each half hitch has only 1 turn to prevent failure. That means from a simplistic point of view that you need 5 half hitches to equal one 5 turn whip finish.

I know things like this are essentially like arguing religion, and in the end it does not matter if you are happy with you flies. I just hope that people don't miss out on the benefits of the whip finish that they could easily master in less than 30 minutes because they think it is too difficult and get the advice that a half hitch is just as good. The guys that taught me to tie would never have let me get away with half hitches, and I'm grateful for that.

Mike.

Thanks for all of the replies! I am going to sit down and spend more time practicing the whip finish. I watched a quick video how to do it by hand and it didnt seem too bad. I appreciate all the input!

Brian

There are some good videos using the Matarelli whip finisher, but few for the Thompson's. I like both of them. I can't get the hang of whip finishing by hand, but I haven't needed to, either.

One thing that I've never seen anyone mention when using half hitches. I use them regularly, like Streamcaddis does, as I am tying. I've also used them when doing a particularly tight head. Here's the problem ... each half hitch needs to be tightened a little farther around than the previous.

Look closely at the half hitch ... if you tie another one on top of it, the thread doubles back on the previous "cross". But if you tighten each new "cross" just a little beyond, then it will lie flatter and tighter.

I hope that made sense.

Look closely at the half hitch ... if you tie another one on top of it, the thread doubles back on the previous "cross". But if you tighten each new "cross" just a little beyond, then it will lie flatter and tighter.

I hope that made sense.

I agree

One does not need tools to half hitch or whip finish. It is faster to do by hand. A whip finish is better if you don't intend to coat the head with cement. If cement is used 3 or 4 half hitches work just as well.

I don't use half hitches because I see no point in using head cement on most flies. It is unnecessary on flies that are whip finished.

When starting I found the Thompson whip finisher clumsy and imprecise, so I dumped it. Then I learned to do it by hand. Fast. Simple. Effective. Finally I got a Matarelli. For me, much the easiest and fastest way to go. If you get a very small triangular file and file a V in the little tab on the bottom of it, you can use that to cut your thread (just push it where the thread comes off the head) and save picking up scissors. Fast and efficient.

I second the comment above about super glue for parachutes. Get the bottles with the little brush, swipe it once to get a little drop on the thread, wrap it and you are good to go. Some commercial tyers have gone to super glue for all flies and no longer whip finish or half hitch.

Finally I got a Matarelli. For me, much the easiest and fastest way to go. If you get a very small triangular file and file a V in the little tab on the bottom of it, you can use that to cut your thread (just push it where the thread comes off the head) and save picking up scissors. Fast and efficient.

Sundance, what little tab are you referring to on the Matarelli? This sounds like an interesting time saver.

Hey all. I am new to tying just got a cheap cabelas starter package to see if I would like it. Anyways I am having a blast but am wondering if people on here have any thoughts on using a whip finish vs a half hitch to finish the fly. My package came with a cheap standard whip finish tool (the type that doesnt swivel) and have not been able to figure it out. I have just been putting about 4 half hitches with some head cement to finish.

Thanks!

Brian

Brian, while I have never whip finished by hand, I did find that the Matarelli was much easier to learn/use than the Thompson whip finishing tool (my cheap cabelas kit came with the Thomspon - hope you have more luck with the cabelas kit than I did - i about threw it out the window and bought a realize vise/tools shortly thereafter)